Author Topic: What's your favorite sight in target  (Read 4096 times)

Offline recurve

What's your favorite sight in target
« on: March 05, 2019, 01:41:10 AM »
What's your favorite sight in target 25,50  100 yrds and why (easy to see/line up sights etc.….)

Offline recurve

Re: What's your favorite sight in target
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:42:10 AM »
other than game ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:23:42 AM »
  Recurve I use to do 25 yards to start. Now I start at fifty. Just my personal preference nothing more.  Oldtravler

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:46:37 AM »
I also use 50 yards for the distance. For the target I use the paper side of freezer wrap, draw a circle with black felt tip pin. Inside of this I draw 1 vertical line and one horizontal line. At the center I draw a circle and fill it in with black just large enough to see with my front sight. 5 shots with each powder charge/patch combination. Has worked well for me over the years.
 Why freezer paper you ask? This time of year the target boards are always damp and the waxed side doesn't soak through, it is cheap to buy and I would rather save my money for more powder and lead.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Semisane

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 07:49:26 AM »
I sight in at 75 yards using a 6 o'clock hold on a 3" bull, using the target below. I have this target as a MS Word document and as a .jpg file. I can send you the file(s) as an email attachment upon request. Print a master out on your home printer. Then save your ink by taking the master to a copy store for cheap bulk copying.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline recurve

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 03:40:29 PM »

this has a 2 inch bulls eye(red) around the cross hairs

same 2 inch bull finer cross hair (can't see cross hairs at 75 yrds)
I try to keep all old targets in loose leaf note book to record successes and failures 

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
I start at 25yds on a 100 yd nmlra bullseye and get a group in the × ring, then go to 50yds and refine the group. I'll finally go to 100 yds on a 200yd bullseye to see how much more powder I need at that range to compensate for drop. That also turns out to be my hunting load for large bore rifles. The only reason I use the 200yd bullseye is because I can't see the 100yd bullseye anymore. These days the 200yd bullseye is none too clear either.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »
  Use a White bulls eye much easier to see the sights   dark sights on a white background much easier to see. I start at 25 yds.easier to get on paper and make adjustments.

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 04:13:24 PM »
Depends on what I have on hand.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 04:24:58 PM »
There are plenty available. find one that suits you and have at it.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=printable+rifle+targets&t=osx&ia=web
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
I use paper plates. I make a 1" circle and fill it in with black magic marker.

I only shoot offhand and that's how I sight it too. I find that my offhand shots have a different POI than from a bench. So, I see no reason to sight in from a bench.

When I can put 5 shots in the 1" circle I move the target to 50yds and make the circle 2". Again shooting offhand when I put 5 shots in the 2" circle the gun is sighted in. As long as I can consistently repeat it.

I use primitive sights that don't move on me. Once the gun is sighted in for me shooting offhand i'm done sighting in the gun. I don't shoot game past 50 yds.

I know this is different from what others do but it works for me. I loathe shooting from a bench.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
A 9" paper plate would work well for shooting at all 3 ranges. Vary the black circle on it for the range you are shooting.
With open sights, I like a 4" to 5" bull for shooting at 50 yards, about 8" for 100.
This target, from www.targetz.com worked just fine for all ranges. Fill in 2 of the white rings for 100 yards. A magnum sharpie works.

Same gun, at 100 meters (109yards) only fired 2 shots on a buddy's modern gun target to check my zero for hunting.  160gr. 2F, 684" ball and .0215" patch.
Pure luck they were 'on' as I usually use a .030" patch.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Semisane

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:00:17 PM »
Here's a five-inch bull that prints on 8.5 x 11" paper if anyone wants it.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 11:46:25 PM »
Wow! Ray Charles could hit that bull. :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 01:38:29 AM »
For zeroing your sights, here's a suggestion for you.  With a felt pen, draw a horizontal line across a piece of white paper, big enough that you can see it at whatever distance you choose.  Shoot and file your sights until you can keep all shots on the line.  Now do the same with a vertical line identical to the first.  And shoot and tap your sights over to get the rifle shooting into the vertical line.  Now put up a spot target just big enough that you can see it and no more, and shoot the rifle aiming at the centre of the black dot.  Increase the distance and the size of the dot to match your vision.  Then try another load...
After years of shooting various calibres and kinds of rifles, you will know intuitively where to start with charge, ball size, patch thickness and lube.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 02:25:30 AM »
I can't ever make up my mind on what kind of target.  So what I do is make a wide variety of targets using blank sheets of paper.  These are used from time to time.  But, hold on to your panties, I haven't bought a target in nearly 50 years.  A range I belonged to for years furnished a lifetime worth of targets; the shoot 'n see, different bullseye targets, weird ones of different colors; an amazing variety.  How this worked was that other shooters would trash their targets when they left the range.  Astonishingly, most of these were not even shot!  The ones that were were easily patched and put back to work.  I also came into packs of targets via friends who didn't use them.  As a result I must have a lifetime of targets (all kinds) and can select a target of the day and not choose the same one twice unless I like it.

Unless using a six o'clock hold, the black bullseye isn't easy as the front sight gets lost in the black field.  I paint my front sights but am still at the mercy of the light.  .32s and .36s are sighted in at 25 to 30 yards; calibers larger than these are sighted in 2" high at 50 yards.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 03:25:07 AM »
This 8" bull should work from 100 to 150 yards. Staple it onto a large piece of map-paper or butcher paper.

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10094.pdf

The whole idea is to use an aiming point that will allow you to shoot a group - then adjust the sights to make that group in the middle.

Hint - the smaller the aiming point that you can see the sights on, the smaller will be the POTENTIAL for your group.

The aiming point should be small enough, it makes you work to shoot that group. different eyes will need different size - and/or colour of bull. Experiment!

The aiming point could be 6" or 8" and with a good load in a good rifle, you should be able to shoot a 2" or even tighter group with open sights, if you are up to it.

Paining the sight so you can see them, is a good idea, as hanshi does. Whatever works. Apertures certainly help as well.  With a good set of apertures

like we use on the later period buffalo rifles, you could shoot as tightly as an inch to 1 1/2"- if the gun and you are up to it, maybe even better.
Daryl

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
All I have used were a 4" dot with vertical and horizontal line at 25 and 50 and then a 6" dot with the same cross hairs at 100 and 150.  The dot at 25 is outlined white with a 1" black dot in the middle.  The same for the 6" dot save the center black dot is 4".  I sight in shooting 6 oclock holdon the 100 and 150 yrd shots.  I like to see my target, not cover it up.  Just me.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
This photo is of 3 of the many kinds of targets I've used; the square ones I made.  I also have the "negative" version of the square ones.

A six o'clock hold works for me on bullseye.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 01:04:46 AM »
The double apertures on the buffalo rifle like a 4" black bull for 100 meters.
Daryl

Offline recurve

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:34 PM »
Well found that my silver front sight is nearly impossible to see against a white  :o back ground target with small 2x2 black or colored centers at 50 yrds.  So now on to black paper with light colored aim point. (yes I did try blacking the front sight with soot, it kept rubbing off while loading) might try  tape on front sight.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:50 AM »
If the silver front blade disappears, try red or orange nail polish on the flat you see when sighting. It works but prepare for some ribbing from your shooting buddies as they won't recall Rogers Rangers having nail polish in their kits.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 03:07:02 AM »
Usually whatever is handy... And my wife has even been so kind as to print some off for me.

When I got my .32 I bought a package of the little plastic practice golf balls. I figured that was roughly the same size as a squirrel's noggin... In hindsight that was a little... Ambitious. LOL

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 09:28:46 PM »
Usually whatever is handy... And my wife has even been so kind as to print some off for me.

When I got my .32 I bought a package of the little plastic practice golf balls. I figured that was roughly the same size as a squirrel's noggin... In hindsight that was a little... Ambitious. LOL

Mike

Mike sounds like good practice to me, but no good for sighting in your rifle. For sighting in, you need paper targets you can see well with your sights. Get her sighted in, then switch to the squirrel head targets, or print off some squirrel targets.

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/30009.pdf
Daryl

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 12:40:30 AM »

For 50 yards. The V helps me see if I’m holding too high. Good for those particular old eyes.
Andover, Vermont