Author Topic: What's your favorite sight in target  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Darkhorse

Re: What's your favorite sight in target
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 01:00:13 AM »
I use this one slightly altered to both sight in a rifle and to shoot groups when testing lube's and such. At 50 yards I put the white bull on top of my front site and I want to hit the target about 2" high. I can see it very well.
I use a brilliant orange fingernail polish on the front site. I don't care what anybody thinks about it, not  many have ever laughed at me when I attended a match and those that did soon shut up.
Everyday I practice shooting offhand with a wooden flint. But I never sight in or shoot for a serious group offhand, those groups are strictly off a bench rest. My shots always hit the same POI whether it's off the bench or offhand if I do my part. I also never shoot at an animal offhand if i can find a rest of some kind but I don't spend an excessive amount of time looking for one either.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:03:37 AM by Darkhorse »
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 01:41:51 AM »
I use this design for 50 and 100 yards.  The triangle perches on top of the front blade.  The day-glo paper gives great contrast, and the pointed lower tip of the triangles gives a fine aiming point.  I find these to be very useful, except for peep sights. 
God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 03:03:08 AM »
Everyone's eyes are different in how we see colours and shapes, especially over a set of sights.  Most the trouble is
finding a target we can see well.  I have found the multiple rings works quite well. At one time, the 4" black bull worked for
50 yards and again last year, when testing the bl. length reduction on the .60 Hawken rifle.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 03:27:33 AM »
Usually whatever is handy... And my wife has even been so kind as to print some off for me.

When I got my .32 I bought a package of the little plastic practice golf balls. I figured that was roughly the same size as a squirrel's noggin... In hindsight that was a little... Ambitious. LOL

Mike

Mike sounds like good practice to me, but no good for sighting in your rifle. For sighting in, you need paper targets you can see well with your sights. Get her sighted in, then switch to the squirrel head targets, or print off some squirrel targets.

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/30009.pdf

You're absolutely correct Daryl. And I still haven't worked up a pet load for that gun yet. Now that I've changed jobs and can be around home a little more I intend to do all of that.

Mike

Offline recurve

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 03:28:47 AM »
I found out I can't see a silver sight on a white back ground target so....

all at 50yds mutton tallow gave best groups (spit was ok)
N Mckkenzie Lancaster w 44 in gezt 50
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:36:10 AM by recurve »