Author Topic: How to knap a flint  (Read 3739 times)

Offline MuskratMike

How to knap a flint
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
After using antler tips, brass rods, knapping hammers (which I really don't like) to knap a flint I stumbled on this. It is a brass tool (the one on the right) to remove barrel wedges. After cutting a small notch it makes a perfect knapping tool. I can take very small flakes and resharpen my flints using a small hammer or my short starter. With the knurled handle it gives a good gripping point. Cost is something like $4.00, I know many can be made for free but this works and saves flints.
What do you use?

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Huntschool

Re: How to knap a flint
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »
My finger and the back of a forged turnscrew……  Has worked well for years and years.  I assume you meant sharpening you flint in the jaws rather then fully creating gun flints from nodes...….
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:56:07 AM »
Yes this is for resharpening a flint in the jaws of a rifle or pistol.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »
Sharpening flints in the cock is my method of choice.  I use this screwdriver/copper hammer tool I made.  The copper came to me courtesy of our very own Taylor S.  It has worked well for years.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:57:06 AM »
 Hey- I have a few of those myself, hanshi.  ;D & wonderful tools they are, too.

With this tool, depending on the thickness of the flint, choose the appropriate notch.
It actually works very well, but I can't find it- must make another. Prying motion against
the edge - easy flaking instead of hitting/tapping with the brass handle of the screw driver/tapping tool..

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:02:57 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 01:33:29 AM »
I use a square cut nail, with the same notch you've made. Sits flat in the pouch.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »
Let’s see a video of this tool at work !

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:52:17 AM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5590.0

About half the way down the first page I did a short pictorial tutorial on the use of the knapper/turnscrew tool.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian cox

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 01:15:37 AM »
Thanks for providing the link - what I was looking for. :)

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 10:46:06 PM »
That's exactly the way I knapp flints, Taylor.  But I do something you probably don't do; I always manage to pinch my finger with the hammer and it hurts.

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 01:11:20 AM »
I was once demonstrating a flintlock rifle at a gun show, and I had pulled the cock back enough to stick my finger into the pan, and having done so, released the cock.  The flint buried itself in my index fingernail and it bled profusely.  Without comment, I pulled the cock back again and carried on talking about the rifle as if this sort of thing happened all the time.  Flint is a remarkable cutting tool- for flesh.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 05:13:38 AM »
You got that right Taylor! When I was just beginning to learn to shoot a flintlock I learned a hard lesson. I was taking a shot, the rifle was laying across my open palm right at the lock area and my fingers were closed just a little. My pinkie found it's way in front of the frizzen and when I pulled the trigger the flint almost severed the pinkie at the first joint. I got a lot of blood on my rifle that day.
I support the flint with my middle finger and hold a small brass rod in my thumb and first finger, I tap the rod with a small hammer or piece of 3/4" brass rod, then move it right down the flint edge until it's sharp. I use either a round rod or one that I've ground a couple of flats on the end. When possible I put a paper towel under the flint to catch the flakes so I'm not tempted to wipe the pan with my fingers to remove them.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »
  Flints can be scary sharp. I heard a talk at rendezvous by a surgeon who uses a flint knife instead of a scalpel. he said it cut noticeable better .

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
Another sharp flint story:  I wear a breech clout, leggin's and a linen shirt at rendezvous.  I was late for the next event, and as I exited my tipi, carrying my flinter at half cock in my left hand (left handed, you see) the flint engaged with my side, just above my hip, and made a clean slice horizontally.  It should have had stitches, but you know...
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:46:24 PM »
The shoot must go on!  :o

That is why Daughter Carol gave me some suture kits for Christmas. Only had to use one, so far. Have 3 spares.
Don't leave home (for rendezvous) without them- or hunting, or fishing.LOL
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:49:39 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »
Getting cuts and losing blood seems to be a regular thing for me.  Even when I'm being careful I sometimes get cut.  There have been times when I find blood on the rifle and dripped everywhere else.  While I know it's mine, I have no idea how it happened without my knowledge.  I usually have to search in order to find the source. 

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »
Another sharp flint story:  I wear a breech clout, leggin's and a linen shirt at rendezvous.  I was late for the next event, and as I exited my tipi, carrying my flinter at half cock in my left hand (left handed, you see) the flint engaged with my side, just above my hip, and made a clean slice horizontally.  It should have had stitches, but you know...

Another good reason for a lefthander to carry and shoot a lefthanded gun.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 05:39:42 AM »
I have vague memories of a documentary I watched several years ago. I believe it was about Otzi the prehistoric man whose corpse was found frozen in the Alps...

There was a good portion of the program devoted to stone tools. And whatever the program was about, one astonishing fact remained stuck in my head... Well-crafted stone tools can have a cutting edge that is a single molecule in width.

An edge like that won't last long when dashed against the steel of a frizzen. But when you freshen the edge of a flint you can potentially be creating an edge that will make the sharpest scalpel look as blunt as a 2x4 board.

I too have cut myself on a sharp flint. And I didn't notice it unless I saw the blood... or sweat and/or fouling made the cut sting a little.

It pays to exercise a little caution. Lol

Mike

Turtle

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 02:54:13 PM »
 I teach flint and steel fire making to boy scouts. The first thing I do is to have them get their first aid kit out and have the first aid boy ready!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »

Another good reason for a lefthander to carry and shoot a lefthanded gun.

True, but he shoots rifle right handed, handgun left handed.
Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 04:18:01 AM »
Can we back on topic please. I posted picture of tool I use that works for me. Looking for imput on this not how to bandage a finger.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »
Okay, Mike.  I have that particular tool although I haven't modified it to knapp flints.  I think it's an excellent idea that's well thought out.  BOTOH, if one shoots a flintlock, a good knowledge of first aid and bandaging is pretty much essential.  :o

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 08:53:03 PM »
To Hanshi: as a retired firefighter/EMT I can't agree more. Everyone should know advanced first-aid and CPR. If you spend lots of time at gun ranges a wound trauma class is worth taking.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Turtle

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »
 On topic- some people close the frizzen on a partially cocked flint and give the frizzen a rap. It helps, but I don't think I does as good a job as knapping with a tool or hammer. Maybe when you have nothing with you to use?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 11:29:32 PM »
On topic- some people close the frizzen on a partially cocked flint and give the frizzen a rap. It helps, but I don't think I does as good a job as knapping with a tool or hammer. Maybe when you have nothing with you to use?
I sort of do that if using an English or French flint & for those, it works very well.  It does not work well with Rich's river rocks, though as they are too tough and require dedicated napping.
Daryl