Author Topic: JP Beck build - CARVING advice please  (Read 3122 times)

Offline archer829

JP Beck build - CARVING advice please
« on: March 08, 2019, 07:42:19 AM »

Thank you to everyone who helped with my questions about architecture on my JP Beck build!

Now that I have most of the architecture kinks worked out, I am attempting to draw the carving.  This is my first rifle with carving, and I am more than a little afraid to ruin it!  So if anyone has any suggestions about changes or tweaks, please let me know....

I have attached a picture of the original carving that has served as my inspiration.  Mine doesn't have to be an exact copy, but I'd like it to be close.

Thanks again!
Jeff

url=https://ibb.co/Fb1HdB1]

[/url]

Offline BOB HILL

Re: JP Beck build - CARVING advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:31:38 PM »
Looking good so far.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »
I'd go ahead ant cut that in. You should have been making rifles instead of kids. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 06:15:35 PM »
Great drawing, start cutting in!
I've done that design several times. This is my own Beck rifle.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:45:11 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Tom C.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
If you carve like you draw, this will be exceptional - Go for it... Jon

Offline KC

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
I agree with all the other comments, your artistic eye seems to be working well. The drawing looks great.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »
Your design looks great!

If I may speak from my own experience, my first rifle carving was abysmal even with a copied design from a well known master of the period, and so I must ask the question:  You are obviously good at drawing, are you good at carving? 

I don't mean to insult, simply to say that if you are not confident that you can do a good job, you might consider practicing this one first.  Wish I had on my first carved gun.  I have used Kibler's practice stock as a rehearsal, and it was a good idea.  You could also use a good hard piece of maple, but make sure you shape it with a curving surface like the butt stock on your gun. 

If you already have those skills, disregard!!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
I will have to agree with Norm,you should at least practice on some scrapes before you carve on your stock if you haven't carved a gun before.You did a nice job drawing your pattern,but learning how to follow a line with carving tools without drifting from one side of the line to the other is something else?

Offline archer829

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 03:12:49 AM »
Wow, thanks for the encouragement B. Hill, M. Brooks, Kingsbury, and K.C.

T. Caster, if mine turns out looking half as good as yours, I'll be very happy!

Chowmi and flinchrocket, I have to admit, my only use of a gouge and chisel has been inletting the parts and creating the mouldings on this rifle, so I do not take your comments as an insult, and in fact, one of my kids is so unsure of my carving skills that she recommended that I just leave the pencil lines on there permanently.....

I actually have one of J. Kibler's practice stocks, so as I am working on drawing the rest of the carving, I'll be practicing on that.

Thanks again, everyone!

Jeff

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:34:01 AM »
Jeff..., practice is certainly prudent.  However, judging by your crisp architecture, and mold lines, I’d wager you’ll do just fine.  I’ve found there’s a correlation between drawing well, and carving, and especially engraving.  Good luck, and keep us posted!
Ed Wenger

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 07:39:14 PM »
"Jeff..., practice is certainly prudent.  However, judging by your crisp architecture, and mold lines, I’d wager you’ll do just fine.  I’ve found there’s a correlation between drawing well, and carving, and especially engraving.  Good luck, and keep us posted! Ed Wenger"

You could also try to talk Ed Wenger into a two-day carving class at his shop.  :-D  Ed is awesome at carving.  God Bless,   Marc

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 07:37:55 PM »
Make sure your work piece is secured don't want it trying to run away when your cutting, good luck.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
 You drawing looks great. When carving go slow and think each cut over. Don't rush. You will do well once you figure out the direction of the grain.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »
Jeff, how is the carving coming along?

Offline archer829

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 07:44:50 PM »
It's been a busy spring with track meets and turkey hunting, so I haven't spent as much time working on this project as I'd like.  Probably a good thing, though, as it is keeping me from being impatient and starting the actual carving too soon.  I have a practice stock from Jim Kibler that I have carved, taken down to nothing, and carved again, and I am definitely improving, but I'm not yet to the level that I am ready to leave my mark on the real thing.   Soon, though....

Thanks again for all the help!
Jeff

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 02:21:38 AM »
Be particularly careful about which side of the line you cut on. Makes a big difference in the finished carving.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
It's been a busy spring with track meets and turkey hunting, so I haven't spent as much time working on this project as I'd like.  Probably a good thing, though, as it is keeping me from being impatient and starting the actual carving too soon.  I have a practice stock from Jim Kibler that I have carved, taken down to nothing, and carved again, and I am definitely improving, but I'm not yet to the level that I am ready to leave my mark on the real thing.   Soon, though....

Thanks again for all the help!
Jeff

Jeff,
I'm glad you decided to practice.  I would suggest that when you are happy with your practice piece, you should post a picture of it here before you take a chisel to your gun.  You may learn a lot from critiques of your practice piece, and it might improve your gun in the end. 

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »
I'm late to reply to this topic, but I carved the same design a few years ago, and took photos as I went.  I recently put together a carving tutorial on my website, just one of a dozen ways to approach carving, but you may find it helpful as you start your project:  http://www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com/erics-carving-tutorial.html

Practice makes better, make yourself a chunk of maple with a slightly convex face, which helps with cleaning up the background, as it would be on a rifle stock. 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com