Author Topic: New Rifle Ready for Pickup  (Read 3770 times)

Offline jcmcclure

New Rifle Ready for Pickup
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »
From early 2007-2011 I was on the museum staff of the William Whitley House State Historic Site. Three of those years I was the interim and acting park manager. It was an amazing place to work and we housed the Jacob Young rifle and horn that had been built for William Whitley. Most of my connections in the hobby came from my years with State Parks. Unfortunately due to the recession and downturn in historical tourism, my position at the park was eliminated for several years. As a result I made a career switch and began working full-time in law enforcement, something I only previously did part-time. During this transition period I was without full-time work for nearly 1.5 years. With my savings running low I sold all of my flintlocks (5 of them) and almost all of my historical reenacting gear. The only things I didn't part with were my coal forges and Anvils.  A lot happened over the last 8 years, but come Tuesday I'll be the owner of another flintlock. It's been a long wait, but I'm super excited.

Offline wattlebuster

Re: New Rifle Ready for Pickup
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 04:20:55 PM »
I really like it JC. Congrats to you an ENJOY. Who is the talented maker if you dont mind?
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »
Congratulations on several things:
1) getting a new flintlock
2) keeping your anvils and forges, you have been able to persevere in your forge work and it shows in the quality of your work
3) for manning up to do the hard things in the short run to take care of your responsibilities and keeping your priorities straight
4) for stepping up and putting the uniform on full time and keeping your community safe.  I have the greatest respect for all of you that go out on the streets everyday/night

You earned this one so enjoy and it looks like it is a beauty, who is the maker/smith?  Specifications man we need specifications! ;)

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:40:13 PM »
 Excited...I'll bet. How about some details?

Thanks, Tim

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
Completely forgotten the specs... Nathan Stephenson built this rifle for me. It's 62 Cal rifle barrel  Marshal profile from Colerain.  Davis early Germanic with some mods. It's a Reeves trigger guard and Davis triggers. The rest of the mounts Nathan made or modified.
One of rifles I sold back then was a Faber inspired rifle built by Nathan and it was my favorite rifle.

Nathan has been good to me over the years. While I do not do a lot of gun work I spent several weeks at Nathan's place and he taught me the basics of gun building.  That's been close to a decade ago but I still retained the knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:46:42 PM by jcmcclure »

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
Good for you.

It is a nice flinter and I am looking forward to see some pictures in the future with you using it.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
Thanks JC. I met Nathan a couple yrs ago at the Alabama show. Nice guy with mucho talent. Let us know how an what it shoots.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
Beautiful toy!  That carving is mighty special.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 10:22:01 PM »
That's a real beauty!  Now I'm excited and it's not even my rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 02:50:40 AM »
A fine looking rifle you have there. I’m sure you’ll get many years of pleasure from it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 03:06:25 AM »
Good lookin rifle and good on you for hangin in when time got tough.  Enjoy your rifle....  and thanks for the Blue service.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 04:12:35 AM »
   JC maybe I could trade yeah some antlers for it ? Seriously that is one great looking firearm. Nathan is a great gun builder !!  Enjoy Air and be safe out there.  Oldtravler

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »
That’s a cool rifle, congrats!  I really like the architecture and carving, nice early piece.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline steve1122

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:30 AM »
That's one fine rifle! I'm really glad everything worked out for you. Nathan is a great guy, and a fantastic builder. He built a Faber style rifle for me a few years ago, and I couldn"t be more happy with it. Maybe we can get our Nathan guns together someday, and make some smoke.  ;)

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 03:55:10 AM »
That's one fine rifle! I'm really glad everything worked out for you. Nathan is a great guy, and a fantastic builder. He built a Faber style rifle for me a few years ago, and I couldn"t be more happy with it. Maybe we can get our Nathan guns together someday, and make some smoke.  ;)

Steve,

I think you showed me your Faber rifle a couple years ago at the CLA. Its a beautiful piece.

Offline EC121

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 04:51:21 AM »
With that talent it is too bad he has quit building.  He told me two weeks ago that he was giving  it up and sending my parts back.  Said he was burnt out on building.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:54:24 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 02:07:02 AM »
With that talent it is too bad he has quit building.  He told me two weeks ago that he was giving  it up and sending my parts back.  Said he was burnt out on building.

Yeah he had this piece on the bench for awhile. Burnout can happen in any career. I think he will pick it back up after a rest.

Offline bgf

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
JC,
My fondest historical memory is touring the WW house with my (then) 5? year old son (he's 15 now) and getting a look at the JYfWW rifle.  We still talk about that.  If I had known your predicament, I would have tried my best to make things better!  I'm glad you got a nice flintlock, but you deserved it sooner.  Enjoy it and be safe out there!