Author Topic: Breech plug installation  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Curt Larsen

Breech plug installation
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
I've been off the site for awhile doing other stuff.  I've been building classical guitars for a change of pace, plus working on my old classic sailboat readying it for sale.  So now I'm back and need some input.  I have some barrels that I need breeched.  In the past I used the skills of Bill Young up in Minnesota, but the TOW guys tell me he isn't doing wok anymore because his wife is very sick.  So I'm looking for someone to install breech plugs in three barrels.  If any of you have a good source who you would be willing to share, I'd appreciate your recommendation.  As for current plans, I'll be working on an early Virginia rifle I've had in the background as well as a couple of others that still need tweaking to finish up.  All ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
Curt

Offline Gaeckle

Re: Breech plug installation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »
Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio, 330-948-1082

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
Thanks,  I'll give them a call.  In the meantime, I found that Bill Young is still doing work.  I think TOW steered me away from him doing outside work.  He used to work for them.
Curt

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »
Would be cheaper to do it yourself opposed to shipping them....if you'd have to ship them both ways plus labor costs, you're gunna be in a couple bucks.   

If you can build the rifle, installing the plug should be do-able.   

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
Mauser06 is right. Nothing hard about putting in a breech plug.