Author Topic: Tomahawk given by George Washington returned  (Read 2188 times)

Offline KC

Tomahawk given by George Washington returned
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:13:08 PM »
This was an interesting story, I wish it had some good pictures to go along with it.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pipe-tomahawk-given-by-washington-in-1792-returned-to-tribe
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Tomahawk given by George Washington returned
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/pipe-tomahawk-given-by-washington-in-1792-returned-to-tribe

Those screws sure look modern to me. I would need a lot of expert advice before I would accept this as original! Of course I know nothing about horns so I may be all wet!
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:22:40 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline B.Barker

Re: Tomahawk given by George Washington returned
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:46:37 PM »
The head looks like wrought iron but that means nothing.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:11:04 AM »
The head looks like wrought iron but that means nothing.

I thought it looked like brass.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:32:00 AM »
This was an interesting story, I wish it had some good pictures to go along with it.

I am totally confused! I know I started this topic but it appears that KC did! No big deal but I hope I am not going senile! I originally had Washington return then edited and added his first name.

KC is there a chance your time off set is wrong and that is what caused your post to be first and not mind, again no big deal on who started I just don't understand how you are shown as the first to post.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JohnnyFM

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
Dennis
perhaps he started a separate thread with same topic and then did a merge threads???

I also thought the hawk was made of brass but after viewing other pictures I am not sure.  It is a neat piece.  Has anybody done a recreation?
V/R
Todd

Offline KC

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
Dennis, I’m not sure what happened. I probably should’ve posted to this section to begin with, I guess I didn’t really give it a lot of thought. I would like to see better pictures, I’ll check out some of the links other people posted. I also checked my time setting, it was right until last weekend when the time changed, now I’m an hour off. I wonder if there are good pictures of it before it was stolen.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
It looks like wrought to me. It's in Hartzler's book on pipe axes. He had an old photo with a note that it had been stolen from the museum.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 03:12:44 AM »
Dennis, I’m not sure what happened. I probably should’ve posted to this section to begin with, I guess I didn’t really give it a lot of thought. I would like to see better pictures, I’ll check out some of the links other people posted. I also checked my time setting, it was right until last weekend when the time changed, now I’m an hour off. I wonder if there are good pictures of it before it was stolen.
KC
You posted yours earlier than me in OTBF then I posted mine in Accourtments. One of the mods merged the two together and kept the title I had on mine. Glad to know I am not quite as senile as I was beginning to believe I was😁
Dennis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »
Dennis and KC,

My apologies.  I merged the 2 topics.  I should have posted an explanation.  The 'hawk really is a cool piece of history.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 01:57:14 AM »
Flat head screws?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline vanu

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 02:55:13 AM »
The head is from the 1790's, and the original gift to Cornplanter from Washington. The handle was missing then replaced in the 1850's when it was given to the museum, the decoration and general style were designed to emulate the original missing handle which would explain some of the more modern looking details. At least that is my understanding of the history of this object.

Bruce