Author Topic: Timing speeds of varying lengths of straight cylinder vents  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Timing speeds of varying lengths of straight cylinder vents
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:37:09 AM »
Discussions of posts about exterior cons, vent lengths, including PMs have me considering a test that would time varying lengths of straight cylinder shaped vents.  Right now I'm thinking of a barrel stub with a solid vent liner - no cones inside or out.  Its length would be the width of the barrel wall.  I would begin by timing a 1/16" hole in the vent. After the timing session, remove the vent and take .010" off the inside.  I'd then reinstall and retime.  I would remove, take off another .010" and retest.  A series of tests like this should address the issue of whether the length of a straight vent affects the ignition speeds. 

My gut says that a short vent would be quicker than a long vent.  But, I know of no test of ignitions speeds like this has been done.  Any suggestions?

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Timing speeds of varying lengths of straight cylinder vents
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 05:12:26 AM »
Very interesting. I look forward to the results. Except for my target rifle, my fowlers and rifles are all used for hunting.
From experience , I found that reliability and performance went to near 100% when I standardized on a 5/64th's vent
Rain, snow, heat, and cold, ...everything the outdoors can throw at you .   

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 03:16:56 AM »
Should be interesting. Are you going to make the vent liner yourself by drilling out a set screw? If so, I'm wondering if it can be made so it can be threaded in from either end, thus being able to test if there is a difference between the wall being thinner by removal of material from the inside or from the outside of the liner/barrel wall. I hope I explained that okay.

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 01:24:09 AM »
e-mail sent.

Offline LH

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 04:42:10 AM »
stands to reason that the shorter the faster,   but how much?     I'd love to see this test

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 05:55:42 AM »
With help from a couple friends, I'm working out methodology for this test. Right now I can say that it will include multiple lengths of vents and enough trials with each to make proper statistical sense.  In that area I will have expert help. I'll describe this process we have more of this firmed up.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.