Author Topic: Indian head:  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
Indian head:
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:29:49 AM »
Back in the early to mid 1970’s I used to buy a material called “Indian Head” that was a tight knit linen like material that we used for patching round balls. We’d buy it several yards at a time, wash the sizing out and cut it into strips for patching. Needless to say those @few yards” lasted a good long time. Enter the Ox-Yoke, pre-cut, pre-lubed patches and all was forgotten for the amount of shooting and hunting I did while raising a family and earning a living got in the way of all the fun. I see now that the material is no more! So I guess aside from commercially produced patching I’m at loss as to what I might be on the lookout for in the fabric stores. Any suggestions? I’d like to get away from the precut stuff.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
Re: Indian head:
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 05:47:45 AM »
Pillow ticking
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »
Jo Ann's Fabric carries a material they label as Cotton Drill 40. It compresses down to about .018. IT is extremely good stuff.
I use it lubed with bear grease. It works equally well with mink oil and with spit.  Commonly it is known as pocket drill.  Not all of their stores carry it, but it is available through their website.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline LH

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/categories/army-duck.html

This stuff is thick, about .022" with a micrometer,  but mighty tough.  Some of the teflon patch makers use it.  I have several guns that shoot very good with it.  Be sure you order the "Army Duck" and not the regular canvas if you buy any. 
For a thinner patch,  I get "bottom weight twill"  from Jo-Anns.  It mics about .014-.015".  Good tough cloth too.   

Offline LH

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 03:45:58 PM »
10.10 oz. Cotton Army Duck is the untreated material.  Top right in the photo's. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 10:03:07 PM »
I'm testing some 10oz light canvas right now & it is working fine. My preference is 10oz. and 12oz. denim - Joanne's sells it as 10 oz Bull Denim.

I measure most 10oz denim at .022" & it works well in just about all my guns, from the .32 to the .69.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »
Thanks to all, I’ll check my local JoAnn Fabric and start experimenting.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 10:31:24 PM »
LH's recommendation is good.  I Mainly use an unbleached cotton canvas which (I find) measures about the same as 10oz denim.  For some reason I find the canvas seats a little easier than the denim; both work the same in my experience.  A lighter canvas duck, .019" to .020" loads no more easily, if as easy, as the canvas.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.