Author Topic: Original set triggers  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Dave B

Original set triggers
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »
I wanted to share an example of why some original set triggers wont work. I picked up this piece years ago and was disappointed that the triggers wouldn't work. I didn't feel comfortable at the time trying to take the gun apart and so it sat these last 2o yrs? Now I am old and don't know any better took the gun apart. Here's my problem.

I am impressed by the workmanship on these triggers. They work very crisply now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:30:16 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Original set triggers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:12:30 PM »
Thanks for sharing. What type rifle were they on? Interesting method for adjustment with the screw on the front trigger. Don’t remember seeing that before. Wondering if the dip in the bar is wear from sear contact or filed that way to gain proper clearance? Would like to see the rest of the rifle.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing. What type rifle were they on? Interesting method for adjustment with the screw on the front trigger. Don’t remember seeing that before. Wondering if the dip in the bar is wear from sear contact or filed that way to gain proper clearance? Would like to see the rest of the rifle.

They look like they were in a fire and there may be no rifle left.
That front trigger control spring looks heavy and I remember
making a thicker than normal one for the Hoffman&Campbell
rifle Tom Dawson copied about 50 years ago.
These look good now that they've been cleaned up and the simple
construction is a help when only a few hand tools are available.

Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »
Bob that front trigger spring does look real heavy. Really hard to see well in the picture but it may thin out a good bit near the end where it is fastened under the main spring. If so it would make it in effect work lighter. The more I look the more convinced I am that the dip in the bar was filed for clearance, too even to be wear.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 12:55:35 AM »
Bob that front trigger spring does look real heavy. Really hard to see well in the picture but it may thin out a good bit near the end where it is fastened under the main spring. If so it would make it in effect work lighter. The more I look the more convinced I am that the dip in the bar was filed for clearance, too even to be wear.

I think you're right about the dip in the sear striking section of that trigger.
The rifle could be cocked with out setting the trigger.

Bob Roller

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:01:43 AM »
 You are right the groove is filed in to allow the cocking of the rifle with out having to set the trigger.
Here are a couple more shots of the trigger hope this helps get a better sense of the lay out.  The front return spring is notched for the front trigger lever. This is the rifle they are from

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Levy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:37:49 AM »
Years ago I was shown a half-stock percussion rifle by one of my neighbors.  I asked him why it didn't work.
He said that parts were removed from the lock to keep the kids from snapping it.  After his passing and his grandson inheriting it, I had a chance to remove the lock and triggers to see what was missing.  Nothing was missing!  I removed about a small handful of powdery red rust from the two mortices and the lock and triggers themselves.  Once cleaned, everything worked the way it was supposed to.  James Levy 
James Levy

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 12:23:38 AM »
No pictures appear on my computer.???
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 05:12:57 AM »
Taylor, I just sent you PM
Dave Blaisdell

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:28:33 AM »
No pics here either. I am having difficulty getting message alerts from this site on my email-gmail. Who knows. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 05:54:59 AM »
No pics here either. I am having difficulty getting message alerts from this site on my email-gmail. Who knows. Dave F 8) 8)

Even without the email notification you should see messages  waiting when you login
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
Pics are up this morning...thanks.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 03:15:57 AM »
Nice rifle. Thanks for sharing.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA