Author Topic: Main charge  (Read 1868 times)

HAWKEN

Main charge
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:24:07 PM »
Has anyone tried 4fg  as a main charge? Facts only, not opinions please...…..robin

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Main charge
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »
I don't and never have done that.  For small pistols/calibers and small caliber rifles (light loads) I see no real problem.  But trying to substitute 4F for 3F is a no-no, IMHO.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
Nobody recommends it. Pressure would be high.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:47:40 PM »
And another thing, OMM, is that 4F under a patched ball could give "wild" ballistics as well as inconsistent accuracy.  For a small vest pistol, 4F could be a sorta reasonable choice - maybe. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »
I don't even like it in a flintlock pan. Sucks too much moisture.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:47:05 AM »
I don't even like it in a flintlock pan. Sucks too much moisture.
I had one of those North American Arms percussion mini revolvers and used 4Fg as suggested. That, in my opinion is about all that 4Fg is good for. Never used it to prime any of my flintlocks.
                                     Dan

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 03:18:04 AM »
It isn't no it's $#*! NO! Even with light loads pressures can become dangerous.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:51:38 AM »
Has anyone tried 4fg  as a main charge? Facts only, not opinions please...…..robin
First. Why?
Second FFFF burns at twice the speed of FFF.
I could tell you of a friends experience in in small capacity brass suppository guns. Trust me you do not want to go there.

FFFF is very much like a 1840s/50s granulation known as "revolver" . It was used in various cartridges for C&B revolvers where powder capacity was greatly reduced due to the foil or combustible cartridge taking up powder space. It was also used on small brass suppository revolver cartridges until it fell from use. Its not for large charges or large calibers.
Just use FF or FFF...
Dan
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:08:31 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 07:03:26 AM »
Dan,

RE the "Why";

I cannot speak for the O. Poster, but there is a bloke on another forum who uses it in all sorts of guns inc. a Brown Bess.

I spent a good bit of time toughing it out with him, copying  excerpts from Greener warning about such powder in rifles etc,  but it did no good.
Another chap who knows an awful lot about powder also jumped in, but it fell on deaf and ignorant ears.

When I told the bloke I would watch his progress with "interest", he missed what I meant.  He seems a V popular chap on this other forum, but I am shaking my head...

Best,
Richard.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:07:15 AM »
There is a poster on another similar forum who has great success using 4f as his main charge in his .45 caliber flintlock smooth rifle. 60 or so grains under a single roundball, using wads, no patch. I think he uses it for shotloads in the same gun.

Have any of thy e people freaking out and claiming dangerous pressures actually tested these pressures, or have prood/testing that's published and shareable? I'm sure if you normally shoot 80 grains of 2f or 3f you probably shouldn't go direct to 80 grains with 4f. I use 3f as main charge in my 20 gauge smoothbore, a lot of folks insist "2f over .45 caliber, 3f .45 and smaller." I use about 10 grains less 2f than i would 2f for the same or better results.  And, the 3f loads burn much cleaner. So, why wouldn't an appropriate load of 4f be even cleaner?

Offline little joe

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 08:25:17 AM »
A friend TRYED it in a 36 cal single  shot pistol and the recoil sent the bbl out the back of the stock cutting the top of his right hand very bad. That was  40 yrs ago and  it made a believer out of  me. The bbl went past his right eye doing no damage due to shooting glasses. bbl did not burst.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 03:37:29 PM »
Dan,

RE the "Why";

I cannot speak for the O. Poster, but there is a bloke on another forum who uses it in all sorts of guns inc. a Brown Bess.

I spent a good bit of time toughing it out with him, copying  excerpts from Greener warning about such powder in rifles etc,  but it did no good.
Another chap who knows an awful lot about powder also jumped in, but it fell on deaf and ignorant ears.

When I told the bloke I would watch his progress with "interest", he missed what I meant.  He seems a V popular chap on this other forum, but I am shaking my head...

Best,
Richard.
That arrogant chap over there is going to blow his fool head off. But, he has every right to do so as long as he doesn't do it next to me. ;D I'm not sure he's so popular, annoying is probably a better description, even more annoying than I am! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »
If you won't consider yourself, consider your kids or grandkids if you have either.  Or if you're young, consider your parents, or wife and how any/all of those will feel if you bring serious harm to yourself against all fair warnings, for no real benefit. 

Step outside yourself and consider how that might look, and who else you might influence, young or old, to harm themselves in similar fashion.   

Not what the OP asked for, but all I got on this that hasn't been said.  From someone who has survived some dumb stuff, more than once. 

-in before the lock-
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 04:25:05 PM »
I think we all get the message so let's stop here with this discussion.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson