Author Topic: American Pioneer Powder  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Craig Wilcox

American Pioneer Powder
« on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
Was recently gifted an unopened pound of "American Pioneer" black powder, ffg, by one of my Amish friends who claimed to prefer synthetic stuff.
So, not being familiar with it, thought I would ask the group here if it is any good.  Apparently not being sold anymore.
Many thanks.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

Re: American Pioneer Powder
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
If it is synthetic, or a phony-type powder and not real black powder,

I would use it for garden fertilizer - or give it back to him.

You should NOT use it in any gun you like.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
Daryl, agreed, but I do not know yet if it is a synthetic or not.  I do have a canister of the synthetic, which I may give to "in-line boy".  He uses it, despite my warnings.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:19:40 PM »
If it's not real black powder it's fake synthetic powder. Pioneer looks like kitty litter it's so chunky.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:13:45 PM »
American Pioneer Powder is still made (you can look it up on line). It is a loose powder made with no sulphur and is a black powder substitute. I would not use it. Give it to someone who shoots inline.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 01:25:15 AM »
I do believe I will be better off without this particular powder. Can't find much data on it, like MSDS, so will just destroy it. 
Thanks for the responses.
Craig Wilcox

Offline J Henry

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 01:32:39 AM »
  Try it,might work for you,I have shop PYRODEX for years,no problems.Go with what is proven not opinions.I have shot it from Georgia to Maine in all kinds of weather,no problems.  Some places you can not find the HOLY BLACK and have to just suck it up and admit to using "THE" other stuff.I use it cause I can get it.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 01:41:54 AM »
Look up some of the posts from Mad Monk.  He has commented on that powder. I believe that it's one of the "sugar" /ascorbic acid based powders. I don't think it's as corrosive as some of the other synthetics.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 03:39:45 AM »
This product will not give consistent ignition on a flintlock. Might work on a cap lock but you still might need to build a duplex load. Made for inline, and center fire rifles. Also their website says not to use a lubed patch, so it tells me it is for fast twist barrels shooting those confangeled conical bullets.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 03:49:36 AM »
Look up some of the posts from Mad Monk.  He has commented on that powder. I believe that it's one of the "sugar" /ascorbic acid based powders. I don't think it's as corrosive as some of the other synthetics.

Correct.  It is also hydroscopic.  Once opened it gets weaker quickly.  It is not as corrosive as Pyrodex.  Definitely not flintlock fodder.