Author Topic: Morphy's 4/19 - very interesting William Henry rifle  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Morphy's 4/19 - very interesting William Henry rifle
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 08:10:06 PM »
I think it's possible the inletting may be chalked up to wear, maybe some chip out and subsequent smoothing over 200+ years?  I don't know.  I see what you're indicating but I don't know as though I'm ready to go the 'replacement box' route.  I do think the box is original, in fact I think the whole thing is pretty right save the funky games with the lock.

Jim I agree, I suspect strongly that this rifle has a very 'factory' feel to it and was likely made by several employees or apprentices.  Quite possibly William Henry never touched it!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 08:29:23 PM »
Fancy box, plain rifle, nice cheekpiece inlay. We seldom know the story of why on interesting guns.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 12:04:29 AM »
It's funny, it essentially looks like William Henry's version of one of Derringer's contract Indian trade rifles.  Plain rifle, nice cheek inlay and fancy box!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!