Author Topic: What’s your method of engrailing a powder horn?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Kary

What’s your method of engrailing a powder horn?
« on: March 22, 2019, 02:33:27 AM »
I have started one and have messed up my engrailing. I have no sure fire way to engrailing and would LIVE some ideas on how to proceed, after of course fixing my mess up.
Thanks!!

Offline elk killer

Re: What’s your method of engrailing a powder horn?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:10:05 AM »
I use the smallest  V shaped chisel  I could find, and use a small hammer, Ron Elert showed how on the video he did on building horns, works great and is easily  controled sort of like engraving or carving wood,
not for everyone  but works well
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Kary

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 04:19:46 AM »
Does that work for round engrailing as well? I could see it work well for the v shaped engrailing... thanks for your reply!

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »
Just use a SHARP round gouge
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 04:50:31 PM »
 I'm sure there are many ways to do it. As has been said a Sharp "U" or "V" gouge can be used but so can a sharp thin short bladed knife. Cutting goes easier if the horn is soft, if you boil it to get it soft you will be able to cut 5 or 6 notches before it needs to go back in the water to soften up again. It is a slow process but will give good results.
 Be sure and lay out your design before you get started. A strip of paper cur to fit around the horn at the engrailing point and marked where each notch will be will help. You can tape the pattern to the horn or just mark the horn. Remember that where the two ends meet is One notch.
 Another thing that may help is to do the engraining before you shape the neck of the horn. Mark a line around the horn where the engrailing will be. Then about 3/16" below that line draw a second line parallel to it. Cut the first line to the depth you want, then starting at the second line with the point of your tool cut towards the first, the tool will stop when it reaches the other side of the cut. After all the notches are cut you can shape the neck. With a little practice, sharp tools and a good layout the notches are made with one cut. It really helps if you have a practice horn, doesn't even have to be a whole horn just a piece you can layout and cut on. 

Tim C.

PS: Or you can use a Dremel Tool but that will probably take More practice. (Can't believe I even suggested that) TC

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:43:43 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Kary

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:51:24 PM »
Thanks Tim, I had thought about boiling or at least heating the horn up is some hot water... I may try that. My gouges arnt really super sharp.... so I may not even attempt.
I tried once already, and the results were less than sataisfactory. To be honest I need to learn how to sharpen my gouges... that would help in the process.
I just got done filing my “attempt at engrailing” off, I’m not real sure I will try again, at least with this horn..

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 08:18:00 PM »
Apart from a sharp gouge, all you need is a good layout and repetitive motions.  I like to put some electrical tape at the back of the engrailing as an indexing point so they’re all even. You can see where my tape line was in this picture if you look close. Try laying a pattern out at 1/4 inch intervals marked in the center of your cut.  And use a 1/8 inch round gouge to start. That is usually a good combination to start with that you can get satisfactory results with because the cuts are smaller and closer together, which helps keep things even. Also, be sure to start on the backside so you when you get around there again you can adjust it slightly for the last few cuts if necessary.  I like the hammer chasing method as well.  And I often need a friend (son, etc.) to hold the horn while I engrailing it, depending on the twist.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:22:45 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »
Ok now I know what you’re talking about.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kary

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 12:09:31 AM »
Understood...thanks guys! I’ll do that on my next horn... on my current horn I have no more room for error.... I messed it up that bad.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 06:22:05 PM »
Just like gun building......you need sharp tools.  Learn to sharpen your tools, so you can learn how to use them.
In His grip,

Dane

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »
I did this with a pocket knife, lots of run overs etc. “scrim” done with the same knife.[url]https://ibb.co/SP0q9jj
https://ibb.co/rGnYT3D

Offline Kary

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
Wow! You did that with a pocketknife?? My hats off to you sir! On a different forum, a few years back... there was a fella who made a horn while out deer hunting .. he did so with a piece of glass he found... he scraped it all and it really looked nice! Well with the examples that have been shown on this thread, There’s somthing to be said about simple, but elegant horn work! Love it!
Thanks,
Kary

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »
Yep, a small sharp blade on a “whittler” style pocket knife. Good luck.