Author Topic: Proper way to secure a flint.  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Woodsrunner79

Proper way to secure a flint.
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »
Hi, all. I just got my first flintlock, a Jim Chambers York in .40, and am having trouble securing the flint in the cockjaw. Would a piece of sheet lead or strip of leather help in this? Also, how tight should I be screwing it down  ( don't want to break/hurt the lock)

Cheers,  Jordan

Offline mark esterly

Re: Proper way to secure a flint.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »
use leather. do not use lead.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
Tight is good, I tighten my jaw screw with a bit of hand force and a proper fitting screwdriver. If you don't you will shoot a few times and the flint will work loose.

Wrap your flint like I did mine in the picture;

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 04:07:39 PM »
Now that you know the way to install a flint. Go and buy the book "Flintlocks a Practical Guide for Their Use and Appreciation", by Eric Bye. Everyone who is starting out in flintlocks needs this book no matter how much experience you have in black powder, or how many willing teachers you have around you.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:54:41 PM »
I too have had this problem in the past and being a persistent type I experimented with sheet lead (large Siler lock) and various types and thicknesses of leather. Leather is the only material I will use and having a large supply of flints on hand is also helpful. I second the advise to use a proper fitting screw driver to snugthings up unless you like looking at buggered metal.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »
Along with what wingshot said if a new flint protrudes too far forward, cut a small notch in the back fold of the leather. This will allow you to slide the flint back until it touches the threads.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline recurve

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:28:06 PM »
Gold age chambers lock
Chambers locks should use Leather(other wise might void warranty)
old leather wallets and belts are a good source for leather 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:31:09 PM by recurve »

Turtle

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 07:56:47 PM »
 Elk hide works best for me.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:43 PM »
Ditto all the above.  I use only leather for the flint.  Experimented with sheet lead once and it didn't work.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 10:49:04 PM »
 I also recommend leather, instead of lead. I also cut a small hole in the center of my leather wrap, and with a knapping pin cleave a notch in the heal of the flint, so, the flint doesn抰 slip sideways, or loosen up while carrying my while hunting. I found an old flint with a notch in the heal, and tried it, and have been doing it ever since.

Hungry Horse

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 01:55:38 AM »
Thank you,  everyone, for the replies. I've got a bit of leather laying around from various projects.

I saw a copy of Mr. Bye's wonderful book while acquiring my rifle. Unfortunately,  I just didn't have the scratch needed to get both.

Cheers, Jordan

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 05:18:59 AM »
Yes, make sure it is all the way back against the screw.  Use leather.  I make the leather go to the end of the flint on the top to prevent flint damage from a rebounding frizzen.  God Bless,   Marc

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »
 deerskin or better elk works better than cow leather. flints have more tendency to spit out of cow leather-deer and elk grip them better.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 04:44:12 PM »
A shooting buddy was having all kinds of trouble with flints coming out of the laws.  Cow leather, yes.  I cut rasp like teeth in both jaws for him.  They came out smaller than I would have liked.  The steel was very hard and refused to anneal so I did the best I could. 

Next shoot the flints still worked out.

I just had a though to treat the leather with rosin.  Dissolve rosin in alcohol.  Dredge the flint leathers in it..  Let dry.  Should hold good?  I use it for barrel vice work and it stops slipping between maple and steel.  Why not for this?

Offline JamesT

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »
Sometimes if the leather is on the thick side and a bit soft I will hammer it out to compress it some before installing it. Seems to help. Lead was used it appears on some large musket locks and such but you should not use it in modern locks. Most are cast metal and the added mass can damage the lock or at the least void the warranty as someone has said. Nuff said. I didn't need to see my lock break first hand so I stick with leather.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 08:06:21 PM »
As noted above, be sure to use a graver or small punch to raise a series of "teeth" on both bottom and top jaws.  Works a charm.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »
I am pretty sure a lead wrap on the flint does add momentum to the cock but didn't loosen on me. The military,
 at least in the US, issued lead sheet for holding the flint, so it must have worked. I suspect due to the increased
 momentum, it might be harder on the frizzen, perhaps increasing the likelihood of a rebound. I use leather as a
 rule, but do have a few pieces of sheet lead in my possibles with the spare flints. I use the thin sheet from X-Ray
room walls. I have also used this sheet, cut narrow, for steelhead flies I want to run deep.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Turtle

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 09:47:25 PM »
 In my experience, the flint more often slips out of the leather than the leather out of the cock.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 10:19:49 PM »
I've used lead and it worked fine for me. I took a round ball and smashed it flat with a hammer.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 10:24:01 PM »
Some flints have the hump on their backs and those are problematic for me so I take those and use a grind stone on the hump to take JUST a little of the hump off working slow so as not to heat up the rock too much. It helps a lot. I use brain tan deer or elk for the leathers-never had any luck with the thicker cow hide. Pig skin splits works ok on some locks too.

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 06:22:14 PM »
The leather did the trick nicely. I was able to shoot 5 ball through her before more modern tribulations manifested themselves. ( the misses had to remind me that the outlets in the bathroom weren't going to rewire themselves)  many thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers, Jordan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »
The leather did the trick nicely. I was able to shoot 5 ball through her before more modern tribulations manifested themselves. ( the misses had to remind me that the outlets in the bathroom weren't going to rewire themselves)  many thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers, Jordan

5 shots? Leather works, lead works.
We shoot the whole course of fire - 30 to 60 shots and often do not have to re-tighten the top-jaw screw.
 Odd times, it loosens - happens with some flints, not with others that look the same - IT happens.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline nemovir

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
NO LEAD SHEET.  Lead sheet will void the warranty on the Jim Chambers lock. Please use leather.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
NO LEAD SHEET.  Lead sheet will void the warranty on the Jim Chambers lock. Please use leather.

How come? Lead pounded thin doesn't weigh that much.

Offline nemovir

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
i don't know. i read on multiple threads that Jim Chambers will not accept for warranty if lead wrap. i check his website afterward and, of course, I couldn't find it.  here is a quote from Acer Saccharum

Once upon a time, I had made a die for cutting out lead  for flint jaws. Jim Chambers admonished me that the extra inertia from the laed caused a number of cock necks to shear from the strain.

I use leather.

here is the thread
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=31201.0

Chamber's website said they will not accept if abused.