Author Topic: Leather dye  (Read 1048 times)

Offline kudu

Leather dye
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »
Ive looked and it appears  Febings  No longer makes OIL based dye They have Pro dye and I bought some but it is alcohol Based?

I used their pro dye "chocolate color" Its kinda dark and stiffed the leather a little I think thats the alcohol in it drying out the leather.

Offline Huntschool

Re: Leather dye
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:22:04 PM »
You might want to check "Springfield Leather Co"

https://www.springfieldleather.com/?_ga=2.221923743.664194302.1539979714-2020955654.1539979714&lang=en_US

I just ordered some stuff from them and they listed the Febings Oil dye,,,,,,,  Go to "chemicals" on the home page and then to dye's.  Page 2 under "Professional Dye's

EDIT:  I use the alcohol dye and have only seen a slight drying in the leather.  Usually a quick roll work of some sort, or whatever, will cure it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:24:29 AM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 05:08:04 AM »
Fiebing's used to call their Pro Dye "oiled based", but later changed it to just Pro Dye to reflect the fact that it is not in fact oil.  I asked the same question a while back. 

The Pro Dye is reputed to sink deeper into the leather than the regular dye, hence costing more.  It is what I use. 

It will dry and stiffen the leather a bit.  That is why you add neatsfoot oil to the leather to bring back the softness lost in dye work and tanning.

I have had dyed leather (with no neatsfoot added) to split open and crack when flexed.  The time to "break" the leather is before dye.   

Chocolate brown is indeed dark.  Thin it, and you can creep up on the darkness you want in layers.  Another trick is to use a lighter color dye, and keep adding coats to make darker browns.  I have noticed that it is best to let a dye coat sit overnight to let the dye penetrate and dissipate into the leather surface.  It will be lighter when you return to it in the morning.   Rub (burnish) with a cloth as hard as you can between coats to get any fugitive dye lurking on the surface. 

The "Show Brown" makes a very credible vinegaroon color.  It does not add the vinegar acid to the leather, which is a very good thing long-term for hide and stitching.

These are all just my opinion and what I have learned thus far on this road.  I may learn better ways of doing it later on.  You may find something better that works for you. 

God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »
AS Marcruger said..... use neatsfoot oil.  I use it after dying.  It usually does not take a lot to bring the leather back.  I work with mostly calf skin which is pretty thin and soft to start with so it really does not take much.  Wipe it on and wipe it off until you get it worked in.  If you get it too wet it will leach out onto clothing etc. and be a bit of a mess.

As to the dye colors....  I think Fiebing makes a neutral "color" which is really meant to dilute a standard color.  You can do test strips and add  it to create the color you want.  Truthfully, there are so many colors available if you work with one std. type of leather you should be able to find a color or "mix" that you like.  Remember, a color may be one color on one leather and something totally different on another.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Same stuff different name. I would recommend plain old rubbing alcohol as opposed to expensive thinner

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 09:03:47 PM »
"Same stuff different name. I would recommend plain old rubbing alcohol as opposed to expensive thinner"

Yes.  James shared this with me earlier. 

Not only is it cheaper, it seems to work better too. 

God Bless,   Marc