Author Topic: Horn tips delaminating  (Read 1516 times)

Offline far55

Horn tips delaminating
« on: March 23, 2019, 04:05:56 AM »
I am just starting to do some horn work, and have 2 ugly heavy tipped horns that I was going to use for turning threaded tips, but I found both were delaminating when I cut them off. Has anyone tried filling the voids with a thin clear epoxy to try and salvage them? Where can I buy tips already cut so I can get good ones to use ? I have been reading all the tutorials I could find and really appreciate the folks who take the time to share their knowledge on this site. Thank You, Roland

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Horn tips delaminating
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
 Good luck, when I can get them I buy a couple dozen at a time if they have them. As soon as I get them I drill and ruff turn them for future use. My thinking is it takes some stress out of them and helps them dry better. I find this helps some with the delaminating but does not stop it. As in some of them are fine but others maybe 4 or 5 out of the bunch develop cracks. I have tried CA on them but it does not work, especially if you want to cut threads on them. Even starting with thin and adding medium you can't get the glue all the way into the crack. Once you start turning your tool will catch even the smallest void.Try Crazy Crow, they have some preturned blanks but they're not cheep and there is no guarantee they won't split. Also it looks like most of them a Black.
 If anyone knows a source for tip I would appreciate a contact.

Tim C.

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:29:54 PM »
My brother uses some really high grade marine epoxy for his historical preservation work, and has been experimenting some with using it to repair horns he is making or using. Says it has been working wonders when he mixed it up somewhat thin. Will try and get a name and better information from him later today.
Mike

Offline far55

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I figured someone here must have tried it.  Roland

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »
Gerry at Powder Horns and More might have some horn tips.  I think he has some of the horn rolls from India as well.  Black and also a honey color.  Prices?  No idea.
A few years ago, I took a screw tip horn class from Art DeCamp and he had brought some horn tips with him.  You might contact him for his source.  You can probably contact him through the HCH.
That's all I can think of.
John

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
Gerry at Powder Horns and More might have some horn tips.  I think he has some of the horn rolls from India as well.  Black and also a honey color.  Prices?  No idea.
A few years ago, I took a screw tip horn class from Art DeCamp and he had brought some horn tips with him.  You might contact him for his source.  You can probably contact him through the HCH.
That's all I can think of.
John

Last time I talked to Art he referred me to Roland Cadle, that's where he was getting his. I did get some form Roland at that time, probably a year ago. Called him a week or so ago and he did not have any to spare.

Tim

Offline G_T

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 07:44:24 AM »
Cow horn is prone to delaminating, which is why it is not used in high stress areas such as the cores of horsebows (korean, chinese, turkish, etc).

Hide glue bonds extremely well to horn. That's real hide glue that you have to dissolve in warm water, NOT the liquid sold as hide glue. You might try soaking the horn in very dilute hide glue for several days. Some glue will diffuse into the horn which should make it a little stronger. If the horn is worked before it is fully dry, it should also be a little more flexible so perhaps a little less brittle.

If you can't find hide glue, Knox gelatin should work fine. So should fish bladder glue (Isinglass) but that stuff is pricy.

I understand it can go rancid during the extended soaking. I forget offhand what you do about that. I've not had to do this with any horn I've worked with (gemsbok, buffalo).

Info on the technique is probably available online somewhere. I haven't searched.

Gerald

Offline msellers

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you with the epoxy info. If you use the micro shpere filler, it is stainable also. He says search around not everyone carries them all, and make sure to stick to 1:1 or instructions, otherwise it cures way to fast with way to much heat. Also make sure you are in the sbade if hot summer; and outside with the spheres they are carcinogenic and seal lungs like silica.
Here is the link.
https://www.westsystem.com
Mike