Author Topic: Hybrid black powder/Pyrodex loads  (Read 1635 times)

rfcbuf

Hybrid black powder/Pyrodex loads
« on: March 23, 2019, 10:30:29 PM »
Was wondering if shooting a flintlock rifle with hybrid load of Pyrodex and black powder mix would effect accuracy vs. using only black powder loads. I've been doing this doing this to preserve black powder which is very difficult to purchase in my area.

Method used is to first pour 15 grains black powder followed by 50 grains of Pyrodex then follow with patched ball. Black powder is used to prime rifle. I've noticed excellent ignition time and accuracy has been ok

Has anyone used this method to achieve good accuracy? Would welcome comments.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Hybrid black powder/Pyrodex loads
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »
I never have done this since I use only black powder.  I have heard your method recommended by some and apparently it does quite well as you indicate.  I know that others have used it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »
I'd just have some black powder mailed in and not worry about it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »
Just goes to show how lousy Pyrodex is that you need real powder to light it off.

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 04:57:13 PM »
Similar instructions were around for pirodex use in flint lock arms for yeas and years. How ever consider mail ordering black powder from somewhere and getting it delivered. Not only is it better it is less damaging to your barrel in the long run. Pirodex is much more corrosive. And will eventually at very least cause micro pitting in any barrel it is used in. Due to the perchlorate used. BJH
BJH

Offline Frank

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 05:59:23 PM »
I would never put that pyrodex $#@* down my barrel.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 06:30:57 PM »
Knowing well from the writings of Bill Knight (aka Mad Monk)-- who is a certified black powder and substitutes professional-level expert,  the problems with perchlorated powders (and a lot more than I need to know about the manufacturing of all Black Powder), I would't give this stuff to my enemies to shoot in their guns.

I really wouldn't, because someday those guns might be worth having/acquiring if they've good bores.  Using perchlorates is a very easy way to ruin a bore-or anything of iron/steel.

Of course a lot of guys claim it's a total necessity (p-stuff) and that cleaning promptly and perfectly every time keeps their bbls pristine (enough).  Sounds like work to me-and a large risk (especially in humid areas).

ALSO never ever breath those fumes (of the p-stuff).  They contain a copious amount of cyanide

Sorry I cannot be more on-point to your OP, but have outlined why you might not find much "support" in this small group.

Good Luck and Fair Warnings.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:39:58 PM »
IMO, every time somebody shoots a muzzleloader with non black powder, the put another nail in the coffin of our chosen sport. Not to mention doing damage to they抮e gun in all likelihood.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 08:54:36 PM »
That's true. If we don't all buy black powder to keep the demand up. They'll stop selling it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
That's true. If we don't all buy black powder to keep the demand up. They'll stop selling it.

I have never owned any P-dex and had a partial can of triple seven for a while
and then gave it back to man who gave it to me.In the last 30 years I shot
black powder only in BPCR mostly and still have a fair amount on hand including
DuPont and Curtis&Harvey and a full can of Swiss.
We have one shop in this area that sells black powder at too high a price.
A friend told me he paid $30 for one can of 3fg which is preposterous.

Bob Roller

Dave Patterson

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 09:27:02 PM »
Was wondering if shooting a flintlock rifle with hybrid load of Pyrodex and black powder mix would effect accuracy vs. using only black powder loads. I've been doing this doing this to preserve black powder which is very difficult to purchase in my area...

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »
Was wondering if shooting a flintlock rifle with hybrid load of Pyrodex and black powder mix would effect accuracy vs. using only black powder loads. I've been doing this doing this to preserve black powder which is very difficult to purchase in my area.

Method used is to first pour 15 grains black powder followed by 50 grains of Pyrodex then follow with patched ball. Black powder is used to prime rifle. I've noticed excellent ignition time and accuracy has been ok

Has anyone used this method to achieve good accuracy? Would welcome comments.

Velocities seem to vary a LOT with the phony powders, some more than others. BPCTG shooters do not use phony powders as the
 accuracy sucks compared to real black powder - PERIOD. They get sub 8fps velocities shot to shot with real BP and 30fps + with the
phony powders. At long ranges, this makes a HUGE difference. In round ball guns, the accuracy is similarly worse than real BP.
In the States, it is so easy to obtain real black powder, there is ZERO reason to use anything but.  On top of that, the phony powders
especially Pyrodex not only cost more than real black powder but will also rot your bore - EVEN if you clean it for 3 days after shooting.
The damage is accumulative.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 11:13:33 PM »
Ordering black powder - the larger the order the cheaper per lb - is the only way to go, IMO.  If you can drive to the dealer to pick it up it's even cheaper.  If the dealer sells it in "bulk" that's another savings.  I've never bought any sub and have never put any down a bore of mine.  The technology we use was developed for black powder; nuff said.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.