General discussion > Gun Building

Lock inletting

(1/7) > >>

chuck-ia:
I am inletting a late ketland flintlock, I have the plate about inlet, did not go all the way down yet, I am about .030" from the bolster touching the barrel, decided to inlet the parts before I go all the way down, the plate actually doesn't look too  bad as far as gaps, plate is square with the top of the barrrel. I have the bridle and tumbler inlet, I am not real happy with the way the inlet looks, I know the lock will cover it up, just bugs me. I wonder if any of you professionals could show me a picture of your inletting of a lock? thanks, chuck-ia

T*O*F:

chuck-ia:
Thanks for the picture. Mine is not as neat as yours, but will have to do. I just inlet the sear spring tonight, only took about 45 min., maybe start inletting the sear tomorrow, then the main spring, and I will be done with the lock. thanks again, chuck

D. Taylor Sapergia:
I inlet the lock plate until the bolster is full down on the side flat of the barrel.  Then I add the tumbler bridle to the inside of the plate, and inlet that.  Then the tumbler and the sear spring.  Then the sear, and finally the mainspring.  Everything is inlet fully before i go to the next component.  That way, i only inlet it once.  Even so, there's always a little clearance cutting to do so that parts move freely without binding.  Don't try to get it too tight, or it will hang up when the wood changes with the seasons. 

chuck-ia:
Heck, I don't know, a friend recommended leaving a little wood between the bolster and barrel when inletting the plate. I guess to me it makes sense, I have not done it this way before, so this is my first. The way I look at it if I inlet just the plate all the way to the bolster, it is hard for me to concentrate on the very outer edge of the lock plate contacting the wood, which it should when completely inletted. So, if I get close, lock plate square, very little rock in the plate, inlet the innards, and sneak up on the bolster fit to barrel and lock plate to wood contact, does this make sense? Or am I all wrong? chuck-ia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version