Author Topic: Is black powder hard to find?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline MuskratMike

Is black powder hard to find?
« on: March 25, 2019, 11:08:15 PM »
I keep seeing posts on how hard it is for some people to find and buy black powder. Maybe I am just lucky but here in Oregon it is easy to find. If you don't live near any of the shops they will happily bring it to the larger club shoots. If that isn't the case in your area simply buy 25 lbs. or more from the nearest distributor in your area (look in Muzzleloader Magazine). If you go together with a few others the more you buy the cheaper it is per pound when you spread out the shipping and Haz-Mat fee.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline snapper

Re: Is black powder hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:15:02 PM »
There is no shortage in powder.  Might be hard to find in a brick and mortar store near me, but I picked some up in IL last week passing through.  Since I picked it up, I had to pay sales tax.  If I had them ship it to me, it would of only been $30 more per case.

You can pick up the phone and buy powder all day long, but they aint giving it away so people are looking for the cheapest way to get it.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
For decades I had to settle for buying a can or two at a time from the LGS.  After I started ordering it by the case, there was no turning back.  Unfortunately, around that time is when it started skyrocketing in price.  Still, it was much less expensive than "store bought".
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:53:04 AM »
I keep seeing posts on how hard it is for some people to find and buy black powder. Maybe I am just lucky but here in Oregon it is easy to find. If you don't live near any of the shops they will happily bring it to the larger club shoots. If that isn't the case in your area simply buy 25 lbs. or more from the nearest distributor in your area (look in Muzzleloader Magazine). If you go together with a few others the more you buy the cheaper it is per pound when you spread out the shipping and Haz-Mat fee.

How much do you pay in a local shop?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:55:18 AM »
I've been told it's in some major retailers like Bass Pro or Cabelas or somesuch (I don't shop there).  BUT YOU MUST request it.  It cannot be out on the shelf displayed for sale like all the other propellants.  I've bought it at Ted's in Columbia (off the square).

I buy from Powder Inc.  Still have plenty of the last batch. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:01:26 AM »
To OldMtnMan: about $22.00 per lb. for Goex and no sales tax. When I get to Idaho I can get it for $16.00 per lb in 25 lb lots. less if I am willing to take it in 25 lb. sacks.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 04:58:17 PM »
To OldMtnMan: about $22.00 per lb. for Goex and no sales tax. When I get to Idaho I can get it for $16.00 per lb in 25 lb lots. less if I am willing to take it in 25 lb. sacks.

You must be close to a distributor and are lucky. Most local gun shops jack up the price so much that online is actually cheaper. Buying in bulk is the way to go if you can afford it.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »
...and if you can't afford to buy in bulk on your own get 4 friends to go in with you. No one can't use 5 pounds.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:01:40 PM »
I would but I don't know anybody near me who shoots a traditional muzzleloader. They all seem to shoot a modern muzzy and powder.

I usually just order 4-5lbs at a time. It's costing me $24lb to my door. Not the best but not the worse price.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:52:33 AM »
...and if you can't afford to buy in bulk on your own get 4 friends to go in with you. No one can't use 5 pounds.

You might want to be careful about that & check it out, ie: group buys.
I have seen in print (other site) some States forbid 'private' transfer of "Class A" explosives.
Not sure, but I think Ca. was mentioned.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline axman

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 04:32:51 AM »
No

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »
Almost impossible to find in my area, Delmarva peninsula (MD, DE, VA).  Have heard Bass Pro has it, or least did at one time, but that's 2.5 hours from me across the Bay and up in the city.  Easier to order a case and split with guys at the BP club at one of the monthly matches.  Whenever I happen to go through PA I always try to stop and grab a pound or two, seems much more available there. 

Not sure which are MD state and which are Fed rules, but I know here the real BP is an entirely separate license from modern powders, and it must be stored in a separate fireproof safe.  Just not profitable for local shops for the amount they'd sell.  Pretty sure you're legally limited to only having 4 pounds per person without an explosives license, too, at least in MD.  Here we can split a case, 'technically', as long as it's split immediatly upon receipt, but you can't resell cans to buddies.

Around here it's almost  'defacto' that you have to shoot it or know who does to know how and where to get it.  :( 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 02:46:45 PM »
Is black powder hard to find?
Yes, mine seems to go up in smoke which then disappears.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Gordy

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
Check out Graf & Son. They have a website or if you don't have access to the internet you can call an order from them.
Phone # 1-800-531-2666, they are located in Mexico,Mo. They sell Swiss, O.E., Goex, and they even have there own brand of black powder which if you watch they run on sale occasionally. Got some of there powder here a while back for 14 bucks/Lb., plus hazmat and shipping which amounted to like 10 bucks for 10lbs. Quite a few guys shooting there powder at the local club, I haven't heard any complaints as of yet. I haven't started shooting with it yet, still running the remainder of my O.E. I had left.
Good day, Gordy

ron w

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
reloading supplies in general are getting hard to find in my area. most all stores run on a computer inventory system that tracks sales and if something is a slow seller, it usually gets dropped from the re-order list, automatically. reloading supplies are just that kind of item.

richs

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »
Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester, VA and the Maine Powder House in Durham, ME have plenty of black Powder.  I know Back Creek sells by pound or five pound bag.
Rich