Author Topic: Two types of Swiss powder  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Herb

Re: Two types of Swiss powder
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2019, 06:04:38 PM »
No, OMM, Swiss is not 100 faster than Olde Eynsford.   My velocities were 1988 and 1933 fps. that is 55 fps.  Deduct  the first shot of  OE 2 due to a  blown patch and it is  48 fps.  Extreme velocity spreads are 73 fps  for Swiss and then 37  for OE 2F.
Herb

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »
Herb........I'm not sure why you get such a wide spread in velocities and big groups with Swiss. When I was shooting Swiss I got tighter groups shooting offhand than what you're getting. The velocities would be much closer too. Are you sure you're loading with the same pressure all the time?

Swiss is 100fps faster than OE depending on what shot you look at. Goex told me OE was close to Swiss but still 100fps behind. Not sure if they weigh or use volume for the testing. Probably, volume.

Sometimes your results are confusing. I remember on another traditional forum you were getting faster velocities with 2F than with 3F. I never understood that and we had quite a discussion over it. You probably don't know it was me. I used a different name then.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2019, 08:38:06 PM »
Tks for posting that test, Herb. I do like to see closer shot to shot velocities.  The spreads are a little higher than I get with tighter combinations.
The O/E 1 1/2F seems to have good promise, along with the GOEX 2F in the .50. I wonder how a comparison of 3F in the .50 would look as well.
The O/E 2F also looks good and with a better patch, might even be the winner here and might be slightly better than GOEX - more testing, if so inclinded.

Pete, the increased speed is of no consequence to me, except on ctg. guns. What is important is 'enough' speed with the best accuracy.
I have 1 1/2F for testing, but that grade is the only Swiss powder I have. I also have some 3F O/E which I want to do a comparison
in my .36 cal.Rice bl. with GOEX 3F. I hope to get some 2F O/E and maybe some 1-1/2F O/E at the gun show this May.

As to 2F and 3F velocity comparison, I tested that only in my .69, getting equal velocities to slightly faster with 2F, but that vel. switch happened
only in my 14 bore (.69) rifle. The 2F was more accurate as well, and easier on the patches - thus, seems it develops less pressure, but at the
same speed or is actually slightly faster. I need to re-test that this summer after it warms up.
Back in 1986, 3F GOEX was some 60 to 70fps faster than GOEX 2F - not so now, but only in that large bore rifle. In my .40 and .45, 3F was faster,
the equivalence of 10 grs. 2F - likely 100fps to 120fps. I never chrono's equal charges, but the 10gr. more 2f resulted in the same accuracy and velocity.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2019, 09:10:15 PM »
The extra speed of Swiss or OE doesn't matter much to me anymore either. I'll just use a little more Goex.

Goex is accurate and that's all that matters for my hunting. Plus, I like the softer felt recoil. Swiss always had a sharper felt recoil.

Offline Herb

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 04:12:34 AM »
I       have computer problems.......Outtttttt fooooooorrrrr a       while.
Herb