Author Topic: Terry's St. Patricks Day Shoot  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Herb

Terry's St. Patricks Day Shoot
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:03:42 AM »
Terry held her St. Patrick's Day shoot a week late because of the Vernal Knife and Gun Show last weekend.  Here, Skunk goes forward to see if a target had been hit.  The axe blade target is off to the left, and the barrel to the right holds three round steel swingers, I hit the smallest one.  There is a leprechaun that slides down a wire for a moving target, to the left of the barrel.

The bank of targets.  Some were hard to hit!

Carney Pace shooting with Margery and Skunk waiting.  Of five shooters, three were left handed and everybody shot a flintlock except me, I can't hold one well enough to win.

Margery shooing a .62 flint canoe gun.  She hit some smaller targets than I did, too!

Skunk shooting.  He was the winner.

Terry shooting.

Carney again.  There guys and gals all got more arm strength than I do anymore!

Rather than beat us as Jean usually does, she scored today.

Me shooting my .54 Kit Carson-inspired Hawken rifle I built.  Is that a shoulder hold?

A leprechaun and rubber duckie hanging targets.

I barely nicked this one, but it counted.

I called this shot.

The hat targets sat on a skewer, and you had to knock the target to the ground to count.  I called this shot, too and did it.  (Of course, those were the only two I called....)

The "Pot of Gold" and a vertical pipe.

The tube target.  If you shoot through the tube, the hinged back plate flicks a flag to score.

My rifle.  A .54 15/16" H&H barrel and a Bob Roller lock and triggers.  I think it weighs about 7.5 pounds.  This was a blanket  shoot, I came in second and won a Shrade PH1 hunting knife.  It was a great day with Terry's really good corned beef and cabbage and great visiting.

Herb

Offline redheart

Re: Terry's St. Patricks Day Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:17:16 AM »
Congratulations Herb!!! :) It looks like great fun!

Offline Herb

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
I really did not need the knife.  So at our Guy's breakfast I showed it to friend Bill, a gunsmith and knifemaker, who said it was of high quality.  Then he said "When are you coming over to get that case of wine I said I'd give you?"  In some manner I don't know, a wine maker friend of his had given him a case of wine, which Bill no longer drinks because of health reasons.  Well, I said, I can get it now.  And I'll give you this knife for it.  Now, Bill's knives are about five times the quality and price of my Shrade, so he offered it to Clayton across the table who took it on the spot, details of price or trade unknown to me.  So that's how I parlayed my blanket prize into a case of good red wines.  Now I have something to put on Jim's blanket at the Peep Shoot at Easter time.  Oh, did I tell you that Skunk had won that knife at a Rendezvous blanket shoot 15 years ago?l  It has quite a trade history by now.
Herb

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:27 PM »
You made a great trade Herb. ;)  :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:19:46 PM »
Well done, Herb - got that butt tucked almost onto your shoulder. I find the  points dig me wrong - I've too much meat on the pec, for short Hawken butt plates with pointies.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JamesT

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 01:16:57 AM »
Looked like one heck of a good time! Thanks for sharing

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 01:44:34 AM »
Love corned beef and cabbage!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V