Author Topic: capper  (Read 1710 times)

Offline snapper

capper
« on: March 26, 2019, 05:11:59 AM »
This is my new capper.

Karl Kuehn is a friend of mine and a fellow long range ML shooter.  Karl has built around 45 long rifle and occasionally makes a capper or two.

I have seen Karl's capper for a few years and have always wanted one.  He has not made any for a few years and I was lucky enough to be  the one that asked him this past weekend at Oak Ridge if he has made any recently.  He had 4 of them with him that he just completed.

So, I got first pick.  The other 3 were gone very fast.

He makes all the pieces for the capper.  It worked perfectly this weekend for me during the shoot.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: capper
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »
That is very clever work, Fleener!  Very nice indeed.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
For those that have never seen a capper like this, the center contains a spring, and you simply wind it one complete turn, put in your caps and release the lever to keep them tight and ready to be used.   Only holds 30 some caps.

Fleener

Offline 45-110

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »
that is a finely made item, how much does he get for one of them? is he taking orders for more?
thanks
kw

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »
$175.  To my knowledge he is not taking orders.  I think he was 2 or 3 years getting these done.  Karl is in his 80's and just putters around on things that he wants to do at that moment.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I can give you his email address.

Fleener

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »
I'd say that is the Rolex of cappers.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 09:25:39 PM »
It has taken me 10 years of thinking on it to spend the money for a capper from Karl.  I bought it for several reasons, and the main one is he is my friend and I wanted something that he made and I dont know if I will ever have another chance at buying one.

Fleener

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
Back in the late 1980's, I think, I bought a couple of cappers quite similar to that one.  So, I grabbed a rifle, loaded the capper with a bunch of RWS 1075 caps, and applied capper to rifle, set a cap on the nipple, pulled it away and watched with amazement as the whole capacity of the capper squirted out onto the ground.  It was kind of interesting watching that happen, but not funny.
I loaded the capper again, and sure enough, it happened again.  That was enough for me, back it went.  I was rather disappointed.  Actually pi$$ed off was more like it. 
From the looks of your capper, I doubt if something like that would happen.  Much finer work.
John

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »
Ingenious design and a work of art too. Why did it take you a decade to obtain one? Seriously jealous on this one!
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline snapper

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
I have been using the capper and really enjoying it.  It holds 33 caps.

I am wondering why I wait 10 years to buy one as well.

But in fairness to myself, I only had a chance to buy one 10 years ago for the first time and I had never seen a capper like this before, and then just recently when I bought this one.   He had been working on the 4 he recently completed for a few years.  I was lucky enough to of asked him about them before he brought them out to sell to anyone.

Fleener