Author Topic: Patch and ball combo question for .45  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Zachary

Patch and ball combo question for .45
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
I have a new custom built flintlock with a 42” Colerain barrel.45 caliber I’m trying to find a load for so far I’ve been working on a ball and patch combination. I tried a .445 ball and a pillow ticking patch measuring.019 when squeezed hard between the flats of my calipers and mr. flintlock lube. It’s hard getting it down the barrel the first shot when it’s clean after that I thought I would break something getting it down. I tried the same patch and lube with a .440 ball and that was better but still pretty tight. With both I was using 60 grains of goex 3f. I’m really new to BP and would appreciate any advice. I’m trying to find a combo that I don’t need to wipe between shots and according to my measurements that combo isn’t compressed to the bottom of the rifling hardly so I just want to make sure I’m not doing something wrong. If you need more information tell me what. Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patch and ball combo question for .45
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »
Just checking to see if you’re sure you have soft lead. Once past the muzzle a patched ball should go down pretty smoothly. Have you tried running a scotchbrite pad using a smaller jag?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
I’ll put it this way it’s supposed to be pure lead I can dent it easily with my fingernail. I haven’t tried scotchbrite. Just run some up down to polish the bore?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
How wet are your patches when loading?

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:25 PM »
They are quite damp but not dripping.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:00:10 PM »
Yes run the scotchbrite 50 times. Lead sounds fine. Easiest like Pete said is make sure you use enough lube that it squeezes out messily when you seat the ball and maybe go with 0.015 thick patching till it’s smootger. Some barrels need shooting in.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
Appreciate it fellas I’ll give the scotchbrite a try and make sure my patches are wet and enjoy shooting it in!

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »
Try .015 and .010 wet patches. Every rifle will find its own favorite combo. Make sure your patches are wet. Any excess will come off when you start it down the bore.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline satwel

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 02:44:04 AM »
I shoot a .440 ball with a 60# pocket drill patch (measures between .015 and .018) from Joanne Fabrics in my .45 flintlock. I use jojoba oil as patch lube, damp but not dripping. The load starts with one rap from the short starter then slides down easily with the ramrod.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:58:22 AM »
My .45 used a .445" ball and 10oz denim patch.
I measure those at .0225" with my calipers, compressed hard. with WWWF+ a tich of oil for target lube, Track's Mink oil for
 hunting. No wiping, easy loading with 3/8" hickory rod.
The muzzle shape can make a big difference in ease of starting tight combinations
without cutting the patch.

WWWF is: winter windshield washer fluid  + oil is about 2oz Neestfoot oil per quart.

Shake, apply to the pre-cut patches in the tin, pour out excess, lightly squeezing on the stacks of patches.

My wife and daughter use the same load.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RichG

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:40:30 AM »
I have a colrain 45 barrel with round groove rifling. Hunting load-.435rb with .015 ticking lubed with mink oil. have to use at least 70gr 3f to get it to shoot. loads without short starter. 75 grs. is 2000fps. 80 grs burns patches. trail walk/plinking load is 60gr 3f .445 rb .020 patch and wet lube. 1800fps. needs short starter to load but not hard.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 04:21:45 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I polished the bore with scotchbrite and I have sanded the muzzle smooth with sandpaper. Last night I was using a .445 ball and a pocket drill patch which measures about.019 compressed hard. I could push it down with my range rod but I would have soon broken a hickory rod it goes down tight. Starting it’s not to bad with a short starter but it pushes on down tight.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »
You’re well on your way.  I bet it gets easier and easier. I like a little choke at the muzzle and find it makes loading very easy once short started. You could do a little lapping from the breech if so inclined. PM me and I could send you a little lapping compound and give you suggestions.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Zachary

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 08:38:40 PM »
I really appreciate the offer but I don’t want to take the barrel out of the gun to work it from the breech. I’ll keep shooting and see if it gets better. I’d really like to be able to load with the hickory rod at least occasionally without fear of breaking it. I may try some other patching I have to see what happens. Thanks again

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »
With 80 grains of 3F, a .440" ball and pillow ticking, I killed quite a few deer.  Later I found 60 to 70 grains killed just as well and saved powder.  While comparing the .440" with the .445" ball, I found no difference in seating, velocity or accuracy with the two sizes being being essentially interchangeable in my flintlock. 

I seldom use ticking nowadays as cotton duck (.019") or unbleached canvas (.023") to (.024") are used - all measured with calipers as hard as I'm able to squeeze them - lubed with mink oil, for hunting, and/or Hoppes at the range.  I haven't tried wwwf yet but have a gallon ready to go.  These loads are tight and require a short starter but go down pretty easily using the wood, underbarrel rod.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 07:41:11 AM »
Zachary:
I would try .440 round balls and the same patches you tried earlier. It looks like you are on your way!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »
I really appreciate the help guys. I’ll keep working with it.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »
I have a Colerain 45 with RB rifling.  It was not smooth as received.  I lapped a slight choke in it with cast lead laps, working from the breech end.  120, 220, then 320 grit.  I then polished it with Flitz and steel wool.  IT sure loaded easier.   It never shot accurate enough for me so it sits in the scrap pile. 

I would definitely try to polish yours.  Try a smaller ball and or patch until it is manageable to load. 

Offline Zachary

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »
So far the accuracy seems quite promising to me. I might try polishing it some more.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 09:56:27 AM »
maroon scotch brite will also help, barring a complete lead-lap, as Scota4570 noted, which is best.

Taylor and I salvaged a .40 longrifle he's made long ago, in which the owner ALWAYS cleaned with boiling hot water.
That rifle was always cleaned before a drink of water, beer or anything else - 1st thing's first, with Peter. After swabbing
the barrel out, it dried immediately and before he could shove a patch down it, RUST. Very fine, but it is accumulate. Taylor
could probably give you the age of that rifle- early 80's or late 70's maybe?
After Pete passed on, Taylor got that rifle back and the bore was finely pitted, end to end.
Using an adjustable lead lap, we salvaged the barrel.  In the mid 70's I used a lead lap to not only polish, but lap in a .002" to .003"
choke. You could feel it when loading or cleaning. Shot amazingly well with 1970's GOEX and bullets lubed with Beeswax/Vaseline, 60:40.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:04:19 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V