Author Topic: Barrel question  (Read 2439 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Barrel question
« on: March 26, 2019, 05:01:59 PM »
Just got in trade a nice 50 cal 1" acf barrel,32" long  was originally fitted for under rib. The hole nearest the nosecap area,about 13" from muzzle, was drilled all the way into bore. 4-40 threads
Is this barrel junk, or what is the consensus here? Not much invested, Thanks, Dave 8) 8)

Online Bob Roller

Re: Barrel question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
Just got in trade a nice 50 cal 1" acf barrel,32" long  was originally fitted for under rib. The hole nearest the nosecap area,about 13" from muzzle, was drilled all the way into bore. 4-40 threads
Is this barrel junk, or what is the consensus here? Not much invested, Thanks, Dave 8) 8)

Dave,
I would save what I could and make a pistol from it.When that little drill,maybe a #43
broke thru the bore that was the end of it as a full length rifle.
I have known of one case where this happened and the bore was saved by an expert.
One of our local single shot shooters had a Pope Ballard that was damaged like this
during his attempt to mount scope blocks. Bill Large saved it by plugging it and repairing
the rifling which in a Pope barrel was not conventional. The barrel you have is probably
not a Harry Pope so I'd make a bear pistol out of it.The level of skill Bill Large applied to
this is uncommon.Today,if it was a valuable barrel it could be relined but I don't think
this is the case with this one.
Bob Roller

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
Thanks Bob. If I were to put it on a build,and plug the hole with a threaded screw,and Loctite and peen the head over flush ,would it be dangerous to shoot,this barrel.?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
I certainly hope you are kidding.

Hungry Horse

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
That's all I needed to hear. Seems all I get around here is this stuff. I usually just buy new barrels. I believe I have 8 normal pistol barrels, and half that bear pistols. If ya don't mind 1-48 twist. I appreciate y'all. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:07:54 PM »
I  have shared this a few times, and it is unconventional, but here goes;

A gunsmith in Scarborough, (UK) used to repair old shotgun barrels with holes in them, by soldering a patch over the hole.  They never blew off.

I had one very nice old double, with a small hole 2/3ds of the way to the muzzle, and filled it with epoxy.  It never blew out.
With black, the pressure is dropping very fast towards the muzzle.

A rifle barrel is much thicker, and a fine -threaded screw will never budge.  If it were mine, I'd plug it and use it.  Some (gas operated) barrels come with holes in like this from new.
I'd make the screw come just short of the rifling, and that'd be it.  I wouldn't do this for a gun that was to be sold, and would mark the barrel underneath saying it had hole plugged and marked, but there isn't a snowballs chance of such a barrel blowing up.

Like I said, not conventional.   
I plugged such a hole in a long sporting gun, (smooth -bore). some clown had drilled into it. Soldered and re-contoured and no problem when proof fired.

Touch-holes were on occasion plugged with a rivet and location moved, and ther'es a lot more pressure in that area than up towards the muzzle.

Take it for what it's worth, if anything!

R.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 08:50:57 PM »
Alice!

Funny people think nothing of putting a vent liner in but plugging a small hole nearer to the muzzle than the breech freaks them out.  If threads well cut and bolt well installed my worry would accuracy.  I wouldn't toss the barrel out  nor would I do this on a rifle I was selling.

I got a nice Getz 44" 50 cal b-wt in a trade that the original owner had put a lug right at the waist and cut too deep breaking through into the bore at the bottom of a groove.  I had the slot welded and the barrel refreshed.  Built my own SMR around it and have hunted with it for 10 years.  Probably should have just bought a new barrel but am still waiting for two from Getz I ordered in 2004.  Would have been cheaper but I liked the barrel and wanted to see if I could fix it up.  No distortion, no accuracy problems, no pipe bombs.  Now maybe I live a blessed life.  One thing I know I am not an old woman.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 09:07:55 PM »
Funny people think nothing of putting a vent liner in but plugging a small hole nearer to the muzzle than the breech freaks them out.  If threads well cut and bolt well installed my worry would accuracy.  I wouldn't toss the barrel out  nor would I do this on a rifle I was selling

Amen! Breech pressure is far higher than even half-way down the barrel.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Touch hole liners, drums, cleanout screws, and nipples all do the same thing closer to the big bang with no trouble.  Peen the screw head, file it flush, and punch a little circle of dots around the spot to mark it.  You may have to polish the bore to round off the inside edge of the hole.  Pressure is measured in PSI.  What is the area of a 4-40 screw?  A fraction of a square inch.  Just don't sell it without disclosure to the buyer.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:15:14 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »
You could probably get it re-lined to a smaller caliber too.

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
I  have shared this a few times, and it is unconventional, but here goes;

A gunsmith in Scarborough, (UK) used to repair old shotgun barrels with holes in them, by soldering a patch over the hole.  They never blew off.

I had one very nice old double, with a small hole 2/3ds of the way to the muzzle, and filled it with epoxy.  It never blew out.
With black, the pressure is dropping very fast towards the muzzle.

A rifle barrel is much thicker, and a fine -threaded screw will never budge.  If it were mine, I'd plug it and use it.  Some (gas operated) barrels come with holes in like this from new.
I'd make the screw come just short of the rifling, and that'd be it.  I wouldn't do this for a gun that was to be sold, and would mark the barrel underneath saying it had hole plugged and marked, but there isn't a snowballs chance of such a barrel blowing up.
Pretty sure the old timers didn’t live in our throw away society

Like I said, not conventional.   
I plugged such a hole in a long sporting gun, (smooth -bore). some clown had drilled into it. Soldered and re-contoured and no problem when proof fired.

Touch-holes were on occasion plugged with a rivet and location moved, and ther'es a lot more pressure in that area than up towards the muzzle.

Take it for what it's worth, if anything!

R.

Pretty sure gunsmiths in an earlier time wouldn’t throw away a Barrel for an ill drilled hole.  I agree with Dennis , Kent and Pukka. When you think about it your face is directly behind the breechplug.
Many also shoot inexpensive off shore kit guns without a thought of the cheap labor to assemble them. I’m gonna take a a chance ( not really) with the fine threaded bolt I repaired a Colerain .62 with. I’ll proof fire it first but don’t expect any trouble.
Kent S.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »
Thanks to all for your input. I don't have much money invested in this barrel, might look into a reline,but might just use with the mentioned repair. Have a goodun, Dave 8) 8)

Offline xx54

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 03:31:58 AM »
Might even be a good idea to use some lock .tight

Offline RichG

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 04:20:43 AM »
I have a T/C Patriot pistol with a barrel liner from Oregon barrel co.( gun works) barrel was rusted and had them drill it out for liner. holes for rear sight go through to liner. liner is maybe .50 thous. at groove depth. never had any problem and shoots great. only 35grs 3f. but works fine.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 04:48:15 AM »
 I don't think there is any danger in shooting that barrel if the hole is plugged. The problem is powder and fouling will accumulate in the hole and cause corrosion. You could also loose accuracy.  As far as the plug blowing out that is extremely unlikely. Almost impossible if it is installed correctly.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 05:13:14 AM »
Ok,this will be done and I will use it on a personal build later. I appreciate all the input guys. Best regards, and thanks, Dave 8) 8)

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 04:57:05 PM »
Glad you aren't dumping the barrel, Dave.

If you soft solder the screw in, you won't get a corrosion problem. Lock-tite might work as well as mentioned up the page.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
My take is this. Not much invested in terms of money. Why put in the time to do a repair that will always relegate this as a 2nd class personal use barrel ?  Then there is the time you'll end up spending on the rifle build itself.  At this point in my life I just don't have the inclination to spend precious time on building "seconds"   I also don't repair other people's junk guns anymore either.  Life is too short.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 04:09:55 AM »
I just like a challenge. People been telling me since I was a teen I couldn't do this or that, for whatever reason, and dang if I didn't do whatever it took,within reason,to show em yes,bg, I can. I have learned a lot of interesting things that way. Got pretty good at a couple trades with that thought. Retired as a journeyman  tech in 2010.
If you think this barrel situation is funky, wwell, listen to thisn.!!

The other barrel, "1' 50 cal douglas,with the too deep underlugs,Nope, I wasn't good with them being in my face area either. What to do----??
Did some measuring, filled the dovetails with mild steel, filed to fit,plugged the rear sight dovetail same way. Marked and cut breeched end of barrel off, cleaned up with file, cut muzzle end behind front sight dovetail, filed true. NOW the muzzle is going to be the breech with new threads and proper fitting plug,good steel for 25" , the old breech end is going to be in a 31" fullstock of some type, and I have another project to keep me busy next winter.
My mentor,Bob W and I call each other "Junkman",cause we both like to fix that which most folks would shun,and do it in a safe and proper way.

This is why I like to resurrect old motorcycles,and old cars in the past.
 Have a goodun fellers,thanks for all the input. Best regards, dave "Junkman" F 8) 8)

Offline little joe

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 05:40:43 AM »
MANY years ago a shooter in our club had a recycled half stock Mallot bbl put in a full stock with 4 under rib holes drilled through into the bore. He plugged them and the rifle was a very good shooter.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »
Dave,

I've done stuff plenty of times just to see'f I could  as well.   Good on yer to not be always inside the box.

Little Joe,
My!   Drilling right through four times!  That's real slow learning on someone's part!

All the best,
R.