Author Topic: New bag  (Read 1321 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
New bag
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
Here is one of my new pouches.
 This one was a challenge to work with, it is made of very thin leather and i have no idea what animal the leather comes from, by the size it could be goat and i saved it from the garbage from a friend that was doing some cleaning.
The size 8x10, it has a gusset, welts and wanted a bit of fringe and because of the thickness of the leather, i added a thicker piece of leather 3-4 once on the back of the pouch from the inside and that would make a better anchor to attache the belt and all sown with Linen wax thread and i break it down to 3 thread instead of 5. I needed to add an inner cotton pouch to make the bag stronger and is attached from the inside. The flap has a backing of an old suede coat and the star is to help it from bunching up .
Brown stain, then black shoe polish and then some mink oil. For the belt just not sure yet, I’m going toward a mix of leather and heavy canvas and maybe a belt buckle. This pouch is very light should look good with my new built if i ever finish it😕.

Ps i did one error with this bag you’ll notice that its higher on one side then the other, grrrr and i was suppose to trim it even and i FORGOT.😩

Denis

Online aaronc

Re: New bag
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:36:40 PM »
Nice work.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »
That's a very nice looking bag.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
It looks nice. The finish looks very warm. I think the blue and white towel on the table was a bit confusing though. I think that bag deserves a leather strap. I like how you kept the dye off the lining during your build. Best wishes and God Bless, Marc

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 01:36:52 AM »
For the lining everything was dyed first, than the coton pouch was inserted and tied at strategic points. But I did a little nono i did a small touch up with the dye and the coton suck it up .
Booo on me. Learning curve
Later
Denis

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 09:58:47 PM »
For as many bags as I have built, I screwed up the other day and got some dye where it should not have been. It happens. Don’t worry just go on.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:20:31 PM »
I like the texture and the color you achieved on that.  Well done.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 12:57:05 AM »
Thanks Bruce
Yep, I’ve learned to roll with the punch.
A few more coming soon, very busy with these pouches, tv is so dull, so i go hide in my man cave with some music NO PHONE, life is good.
Later
Denis

Online scottmc

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
That's a nice bag with a neat looking leather.  Is it bark tan deer by chance?  Has a familiar look to it.  You have a lot of time in that and any self proclaimed  mistakes just add to the character!
Remember Paoli!

Offline Mick C

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Super nice!!
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!