Author Topic: Thinning analine dye..??  (Read 639 times)

Offline Bigmon

Thinning analine dye..??
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:27:35 PM »
I have some of Tiger Hunt's wood stain, chestnut brown.  That I want to experiment with before I apply it to some cherry.   I am very tempted to just use an oil finish with no stain, this cherry is very figured and really neat.  But I think it is a little too lite, yet a full application of stain may be too much.  I know I can rub it back but I thought I'd experiment a little with this stain first.
It says it it metal based analine dye, alcohol base??  My simple question is what kind of alcohol should I use to thin it?
Good old rubbing alcohol or denatured?  Or better yet moon shine or some southern comfort?
Or is there something else I should use??
Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks

Offline G_T

Re: Thinning analine dye..??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »
Rubbing alcohol usually contains oil and does contain water. I recommend to never use it for anything other than its intended purpose. FWIW, you can get 90% isopropyl usually next to the rubbing alcohol. That's a substantial improvement.

However, denatured alcohol is far better than that.

Caveat - I haven't diluted analine dyes or even used them.

Cherry darkens with UV exposure. It also darkens with exposure to ammonia. You might want to consider one of those options instead of a dye. The cherry WILL get darker as it ages.

Gerald

Offline Jeff Durnell

Re: Thinning analine dye..??
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »
I haven't used Tiger Hunt's dye, but have used alcohol based aniline dyes hundreds of times. I use denatured alcohol.