Author Topic: So what's wrong with Goex powder  (Read 3505 times)

Offline MuskratMike

So what's wrong with Goex powder
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
I have read several threads bad mouthing Goex powder ever since Hogdon took them over. I am not concerned with issues in the past I am talking about now. I find it to burn fine in all grades from 2F to 4F. No dirtier than other powders I have used. Am I missing something or have the issues been resolved?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

Re: So what's wrong with Goex powder
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
It shoots fine for me - always has, right back to 1972. I've never had fouling problems with GOEX - any grade.
What I see with Today's GOEX, are shinier, less dusty, sharper edged grains of powder. Works just fine for me
in my ML's and ctgs.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:02:03 PM »
I bought Goex 2F this time. I haven't shot Goex in quite a while and haven't tried it yet. Like Daryl says. It looks good now.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 11:15:02 PM »
I've always found Goex to be THE perfect muzzleloading powder.  If it was any more expensive i wouldn't be able to afford it; and if it was any cheaper I wouldn't want it.  ;D

I've found Goex to be excellent powder and it has always done what I expect from a good powder.  I even got "satisfactory" results with Elephant.  In the 1960s Dupont was fine with me.  Later Goex and a couple others also pushed lead balls out the muzzle quite nicely.  I never competed so didn't need anything other than a good, reliable, workhorse powder. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 12:00:35 AM »
I have also shot Goex in various grades in rifles and shotguns over the years with good success.
Mark
Mark

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 12:34:12 AM »
Nothing at all (yet).

But I won't give Hodgdon any more of my money. I quit them because of their denial of the cold-hard truth about P-stuff.

It's my money and that's how I vote. Use whatever you likes.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 01:59:40 AM »
The VERY best powder I every shot, was American Deadshot Rifle(I think).  It was in a 10 pound can, about 1/2 full when I got it.  The powder was very angular, sharp, shiny, hard granuals.
I poured the powder off and re-canned it in C&H or Meteor cans, iirc. I had to use a sieve as there were chunks of rust in it, from the inside of the powder barrel. Sieving it, got most of it out
but says it got wet at one time or another. There was no deterioration of the powder and good stuff, it was.

A. Deadshot, I read, was the second best powder in the world, second only to C&H #6. That said, perhaps Swiss is as good, I don't know.  There was less cleanup needed with it, so I guess maybe
it was shooting more cleanly than the 1975-era GOEX, Meteor and C&H.  I did manage to score a couple cans of Dupont 2F but it seemed no better than GOEX.

That powder had to pre-date 1898 as seems to me, the 'plant' blew up on that date.  There was no powder on the market that looked anywhere close it so I am sure it was the real deal.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
Funny you mentioned Curtis & Harvey's powder Daryl.

I was going to say I have always found Go-ex to work fine for me, but for sporting guns, (shotguns) I still prefer the Curtis & Harvey no 2 or No 6 powder.
It seems to "go off"  with a bit less jar, and produces very nice patterns.
Mind, the old C&H is hard to find now, and only the newer stuff made in Germany is seen at all.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
I have shot GOEX since 1970 and maybe a bit earlier.  We were even a 2nd level wholesaler for it.  Wife and I never has any troble/problems with any of it in either percussion or flint guns......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline 45-110

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »
I have always shot Goex and have found it most suitable. the average shooter........which means most shooters could never tell the difference between it and say Swiss because of their shooting form. Few real accuracy problems show up at 25 to 50 yards  due to the powder. Now all that said, I have been using as of late Olde Eynsford because of the availability, and it is an improved Goex product for longer ranges.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 03:42:29 AM »
IMO, poor accuracy almost always has it root cause in lack of practice. That being said almost nobody will admit that they don抰 practice much,or in some cases at all. So they blame it on patches, bullets, and powder, along with triggers, lock time, and heaven knows what else. I抳e been to shoots where people were shooting guns that were much inferior to most of the guns on the line, but they finished in the money, for one reason alone, they shoot their gun a lot.
 If you shoot a lot you naturally discover what your gun prefers. If you don抰 shoot a lot you will likely wind up with a storage unit full of stuff that was supposed to be the answer, and you still won抰 be able to hit a Buffalo in the but with a bass fiddle.

Hungry Horse

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 06:14:11 AM »
Hungry Horse: well said my friend well said. Go to the range or wherever you can spend an hour or two and just shoot. Practice makes perfect.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »
IMO, poor accuracy almost always has it root cause in lack of practice. That being said almost nobody will admit that they don抰 practice much,or in some cases at all. So they blame it on patches, bullets, and powder, along with triggers, lock time, and heaven knows what else. I抳e been to shoots where people were shooting guns that were much inferior to most of the guns on the line, but they finished in the money, for one reason alone, they shoot their gun a lot.
 If you shoot a lot you naturally discover what your gun prefers. If you don抰 shoot a lot you will likely wind up with a storage unit full of stuff that was supposed to be the answer, and you still won抰 be able to hit a Buffalo in the but with a bass fiddle.

Hungry Horse

Well said.

I'm sure most of us know the legend of Timothy Murphy and the incredible shot at the battle of Saratoga... I'm sure he didn't have Swiss powder, consistent patching, or a perfectly round ball. What he did have was years of practice and an intimate knowledge of how his gun performed.

Spending time sending lead downrange is the best way to hone your skills.

Mike

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »
I shoot Goex because it is almost affordable  :)    That said, I do buy in lots , and keep track of the lot numbers. There used to be sometimes significant variances between lots, which was especially apparent when shooting long range bullet rifles.  Perhaps the powder is more consistent now, but old habits die hard,  :)

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
Hungry Horse is spot on!! Over the years I have noted that those in the winners circle are those that shoot more than their monthly club shoots.
I do my best to shoot at least once a week. In some areas you can go to a shoot every weekend of the month. Competition sharpens your skills. Shooting paper will tell you if you are progressing. Find some one who is significantly better than you and practice with him or her if it is possible.
I have shot Goex for years, never attributed a bad outing on my powder. I have shot Schutzen powder and it is also a fine powder.
I'm to cheap to buy Swiss. I can practice more with Goex cause I can afford to shoot more.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline taco650

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »
How does Grafs own BP compare to GOEX?  It's even more affordable than GOEX...

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »
How does Grafs own BP compare to GOEX?  It's even more affordable than GOEX...

Grafs is Wano powder from Germany. Its good looking powder but, in my experience, not quite as strong as GOEX.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline HelmutKutz

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 01:44:29 AM »
The last time I purchased FF Goex it weighted with fines. When I called to question the quality, I was told bluntly that Goes does not make enough on the sporting powder for it to be a concern. I began using Schuetzen for muzzleloaders and cartridges. Performance proven. Swiss I also use for some loads but majority Schuetzen.
HK

Black Jack

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
I have used Goex for years with good results. My most recent purchase was a case of Old Eynsford, the premium powder from Goex. The price difference from my distributor was negligible, about fifty cents per pound. I haven't shot a great deal of it but so far it looks to be a very good powder.  I have never seen any other powder priced low enough to make me want to try it, and, to be honest, I'm not a championship level shooter that would make paying such a high price for Swiss to make it worthwhile. Can't go wrong with Goex or OE.

ron w

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 11:36:13 PM »
if you think practice doesn't make perfect, go talk to some of world's leading archery shooters.

Gary W.E.

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 03:51:44 AM »
I shoot Goex at the practice range because when it shoots, it is as good as any powder out there. I have a problem that it does not fire as consistant in my gun. I use Swiss powder during matches and don't have the issues. It is more expensive so that is why I usually don't practice with it. 

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »

Hungry Horse

I don't agree. Some guys are lousy shots no matter how much they practice. They're even worse under the pressure of competition or having a big buck/bull in their sights.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
No question that practice "should" improve a shooters ability to shoot well. I believe it is also his/her mental attitude that makes a BIG difference in performance. Powder and equipment aside, many shooters beat themselves before they get to the line. In my case, and I'm not a champion grade shooter, if I'm up against a much better shooter it makes me try a little harder and makes me a little better. There is a difference in powders and equipment but in most cases not enough to be noticed by the average shooter.
Mark
Mark

Offline yulzari

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »
Where do you folk get the Curtis & Harvey powder? The real stuff has not been made for nigh on 40 years.

Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »
I haven't seen C&H powders since about 1978.
Daryl