Author Topic: So what's wrong with Goex powder  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: So what's wrong with Goex powder
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »
Its personal with me. Goes back a long way.
And I, like all the late serious shooters in the 19th c., prefer to shoot the best powder I can find.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 10:29:28 PM »
Where do you folk get the Curtis & Harvey powder? The real stuff has not been made for nigh on 40 years.

The "real stuff" has not been made for far longer than that, more like double 40 years. Diamond Grain has not been made since the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s. They used a specific wood from a specific place in Spain (I have read) when they could not get the wood to make the charcoal they quit making Diamond Grain. It was their top of the line powder since the late 19th C. The last C&H that came to the US was p#ss poor powder, slow as $#*! and made in a blasting powder plant in Scotland and was DEFINITELY not a good propellant powder. If you look at a first edition Lyman BP Handbook and the charge weights vs Velocity its way slower than GOI and at that time GOI was not making a good powder either.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Gary W.E.

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 01:19:42 AM »
We are on a whole different conversation from the original question to the end of page 2. If all powders burned the same in all guns, we would not have different powders. If you are happy with GOEX and are not having any issues with it, that's great. It does burn dirtier in my gun than Swiss does and causes me some issues that I had to work with, but I chose Swiss to not have those issues during a match.