Author Topic: New find; any idea who made it?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Chris_B

New find; any idea who made it?
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »
I recently found this slender rifle on German eGun.
The guy who sold it brought it from Wyoming several years ago.
That is almost all I know about it...

Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Chris_B

Re: New find; any idea who made it?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 07:26:10 PM »
Some more pics:

fotos hoch

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
Chris,
Can you show a closeup of the lock?  My first impression is that this is a build from the 1960s to late 1970s. It would be hard to identify a maker.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
Now here is the closeup of the lock:

Offline vanu

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 03:23:16 PM »
Following on Rich's comment:

Even though this may be an older longrifle...it sorta looks like the first rifle I ever made (1979)...a "Bedford" - Due to poverty, I used a percussion lock from a relic ca. 1840 SxS French shotgun i got years earlier. Then I traded a bunch of WWII bayonets and other militaria to a local muzzle loading gunsmith in Phoenix (very nice fellow that took pity on me) for the rest of the parts and I sorta winged it from there... and i didn't use a Jaeger set trigger, I used a lovely Bucks County Golden Age style single trigger ;-)...

Bruce

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
Chris,
Can you show a closeup of the lock?  My first impression is that this is a build from the 1960s to late 1970s. It would be hard to identify a maker.

I can't help on a maker, but I'm not getting a 20th century vibe at all.  Nice gun, I'd be happy to have it.  Maybe the lock is a period replacement, with the inlay behind it to fill the original Bedford lock mortise.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 03:38:44 PM by Brent English »
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »
The lock panel has been notched behind the hammer, indicating it may have been flint at one time?,,,,Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
Looks like some sort of Bedford to me. I believe the old Bedford lock was replaced with the lock that is currently on it. Some of these guns were made pretty late, so like this one, they don't show much wear. Of course, somebody is going to come along pretty quick and tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.  And they'll be right. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »
The seller was told in the Wyoming shop where he purchased it about 20 years ago that the rifle was pretty
old and converted from flintlock. My guess is the lock is a replacement since it does not fill the mortise well and it
has that silver "wedge" at it´s back, it may date from the 20th century (?).
I lack the experience, but the rest of the rifle does not feel that young to me.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
I guess I’m thrown off by the early looking set trigger.  Do not expect that style on an 1820 or later rifle unless recycled.

Seeing the lock helps me think it’s older.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 10:52:11 PM »
I think Mike may be right, even with the replacement lock, to me it has a Bedford look. Note the Bedford style percussion hammer, or am I all wet, know little about Bedford rifles :(
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 12:07:33 AM »
 Are those rr pipes made of two different materials? Granted the one has been polished but the other one shown doesn't look like it matches it in color or filing. That little tail, for lack of a better word on the PB lid is unusual, it is cast, correct? Where is the button for the release? Lock defiantly a replacement I've seen those two Quail on locks before but not with that hammer style. The cheek piece inlay looks like aluminum??? Stock looks Bedford or Maryland school. Those two scallops below the muzzle are not seen much, then maybe I haven't seen much. m2cw

Tim C.

PS: I do not think 20c. TC

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 06:30:20 AM »
Are those rr pipes made of two different materials? Granted the one has been polished but the other one shown doesn't look like it matches it in color or filing.

The one with the darker finish maybe copper. Or it really has never seen polish while the other has?

That little tail, for lack of a better word on the PB lid is unusual, it is cast, correct?

looks to me as if it is cast, too.

Where is the button for the release?

There is none. You open it with the little tail.

Tim C.

PS: I do not think 20c. TC