Author Topic: Using synthetic 2 cycle oil as rust preventative  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Scota4570

Re: Using synthetic 2 cycle oil as rust preventative
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »
I also go off the reservation regarding gun oil.

I mostly use a dollop of anhydrous lanolin melted into a few ounces of ATF.  It is an excellent lube, from the lanolin.  It is also a good penetrate, from the ATF.  Recently did the same deal with Marvelous Mystery Oil.  IT smells like mint, works the same.  For serious rust prevention, long term storage,  I use Fluid Film. 

I never use Balistol because the odor is offensive to me.  I think most any oil will work reasonably well. 

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 01:01:33 AM »
JPK I also tried ballistol for rust prevention in the bore.Had the same result patches would come out with a rusty look and took forever to come out clean.Went back to rem oil in the bore for long term storage no more rusty patches.Still use ballistol mixed with water for cleaning the bore after a shoot but thats it.
Chad

Offline redheart

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 01:26:35 AM »
Has anyone tried Frog Lube? :o
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:32:21 AM by redheart »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 05:14:08 AM »
Since Ballistol has been brought up here's my experience with it. After reading a few different forums I got some to try. It didn't seem to make a difference in my rifle as far as shooting. I clean a bit the range and then a though cleaning at home with plenty of water as I have for many years. Soon I found that disconcerting red on my patches. No amount of oiling or scrubbing would get it to stop. Having quit using it for over a year I still get color but reading this tread I thought I'd give it a chance to lift the mystery deposits out of the bore. Several wiping and oiling with Ballistol over two days these are my last two tight patches. Can I expect the color to decrease?
IMG_0411 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
I doubt it but I DO NOT think its rust, not sure what causes it but if I had that much rust in my barrel I believe I would see evidence in the bore and I don't. Also see it using original Lehigh Valley lube and I don't believe its rust either.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 06:52:26 AM »
This is an interesting topic and I wonder if different barrels made from different kinds of steel will show different end results.  Just thought of some thing else, would the different types of climate have that much different effect on the rust preventing properties of the discussed products?  Maybe I wonder too much. Might be the medication!   :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:56:26 AM by smylee grouch »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »
The best thing for long term rust prevention I have found is BreakFree chain, and cable foam.

Hungry Horse

Turtle

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
 I use fluid film. It is a lanolin based product that was developed for ships and oil platforms in salt water. I won't harm finishes and makes your hands soft. They also use it to rustproof cars and I spray it on my mower decks and such. Its available by the gallon.

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
Do it the old times way=Sperm whale oil.   
WD-40 I have found causes the bore to get  hard  spots and acts like carbon build up, while shooting.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »
Dennis.........One wet patch of carb cleaner and it's gone. Could carb cleaner do that if it was rust?

It seems if Ballistol is used those rusty looking patches won't go away. I have a hard time believing it's rust. It's explained in the post stude283 made but i'm not sure i'm buying it. My gun is brand new and unshot. It has no fouling in it but I still get the rusty looking patches.

I have no idea what the answer it but I think i'll stop using Ballistol. Even if the rusty looking patches were harmless. I can't stand looking at them.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 05:57:50 PM »
WD40 is great for water displacement (hence the "wd") but I have never found it to be a good rust preventative long-term in the humid east, and also, it has an annoying habit of (long term) evaporating and leaving an almost varnish like residue behind.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Online JPK

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 01:28:28 AM »
Following up on my red patches. I pored copious amounts of boiling water down the bore to the point that it couldn't be held by hand. Then dried it and run a tight patch down before oiling it with machine oil. If this red isn't rust it acts like it! The rust bluing that I've done leads me to think so. After a few more patches with light oil I now do not get color. The only thing different about this barrel and all my others is this one I had used Ballistol in. I checked both my others and the wife's rifle this morning and all are fine. Hers hasn't been shoot in a couple of years and gives no color other then oil. I'm not going to testify in court about the stuff but I won't be using it anymore.
IMG_0412 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 02:13:06 AM »
JPK,
If you used "boiling " water you probably did get flash rust, it's very common. Use room temp water and a few drops of dish washing soap.
Mark
Mark

Online JPK

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 02:20:04 AM »
Mark, did you notice that the last patch is black unlike the red patches before the boiling water?
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 02:25:08 AM »
I don't think so. My barrel has seen no water and no shooting. I get red patches.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
Public Service Announcement
Please distribute freely
I will accept all containers of Ballistol including new, unopened and/or partially used condition FREE OF CHARGE
I will waive all receiving and disposal fees for Ballistol products exclusively
Now is your chance to rid yourself of worry and those disgusting looking cleaning patches (and that unpleasant smell — let’s face it, Hoppe’s it ain’t )
ACT NOW!
PM the receiver (that’s me) for shipping address
Sender (that’s you) is responsible for all actual shipping and handling costs.
Legal boilerplate: this offermayberrscindedatanytime does ballistolworkonboilerplate? whycanttheymakeitsmelllikehoppes? Othersmileagemayvary

Offline alacran

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
I've been using Balistoll for over 15 years. I do not use it as a rust preventative. It is part of my cleaning solution. 30% . Ballistol diluted 1 to 10, 70% black solve. The Ballistols PH counters that of Black powder residue.
 I have used a variety of oils  for rust prevention. I have been using Rigg on guns that I don't use often.
I plan on trying Fluid Film. Just read up on it on their website. Looks like a good product.
Thanks for the heads up Turtle.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »
I use this to prevent rust in and out of the barrel. Good patch lube too.

Offline bgf

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2019, 01:05:23 AM »
I had some around for the chain saw.  It’s green but seems to work great in the damp Midwest. I know it’s probably better to buy something more specific.  I like the handiness of the little containers too.

Really anything oil is good enough unless you're talking very long term storage.  2cycle oil ought to be reasonable viscosity (some motor oils are a bit too thick).  I suspect we would be surprised to find ought how many of the gun specific formulas are just repackaged automotive products.  I'm thinking the newer synthetic low viscosity ATFs might be ideal for firearms care.  Growing up, we maintained firearms with everything from 3n1 to Castrol GTX 20-50 :).

Not surprised the cult of ballistol made an appearance--rarely does such an unremarkable product inspire religious zeal! 

Offline BJH

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2019, 02:56:27 AM »
I don’t know why the two stroke oil wouldn’t work. I use Shell Rotella Diesel engine oil for the first hot oiling after I boil a browned barre for a dark color. It seems to stop after rust better than any other oil I’ve used. BJH
BJH

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2019, 03:55:26 AM »

What?
 No one has mentioned  Ed's Red?

Offline Molly

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2019, 04:42:12 AM »
I'll camp with those who see Ballistol as a cleaning agent and not a rust inhibitor.  WD40 "Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor" is the best I have found to prevent rust.  It's expensive.  A 6.5 oz can goes for about $20 at the local hardward store.  I use it on the barrel surfaces and in the bore.  Firearms are kept displayed in a basement room and never see any signs of rust. WD probably has 6 or 7 different products.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »

What?
 No one has mentioned  Ed's Red?
Passe'
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »
Ed's Red is a smokeless powder solvent. The red comes from ATF.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Turtle

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2019, 02:38:11 PM »
 A rust preventative discussion is like one on patch lube-lost of different opinions. I think the choice gets narrowed down when a gun is used in extreme conditions. Rustproof that works fine when a gun is well cleaned at home and stored inside fails miserably when cleaning in the field and camping sometimes for days especially when sleeping on the ground with your gun. Some friends who were meticulous gun maintainers when on their first trek, woke up in horror the next morning to a rusty gun inside and out, and some hadn't even shot them yet. The best I have found for extreme conditions is--clean with Lehigh valley(no water!) and coat liberally inside and out with Fluid Film. I still get a little rust sometimes, but not bad.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
Muskrat Mike....After thoroughly cleaning the barrel and letting it dry. Run a patch with light gun or or WD-40 down the barrel. No other stuff needed. People way overthink this simple sport.
Oh by the way this is just my humble opinion.

Yup.