Author Topic: Looking for pictures of a John Parks rifle  (Read 1824 times)

joannerodgers

Looking for pictures of a John Parks rifle
« on: April 01, 2019, 03:47:39 AM »
I am not a gun collector, but the ggg-granddaughter of a PA gunmaker, John Parks, of Huntingdon Co (born 1784) and Clearfield Co (moved there 1846).  Not to be confused with the John Parks from Snyder Co, whose style is Upper Sesquehanna.  I was told his "signature" is "J Parks" printed (stamped?) on top of barrel and his style is Bedford/Huntingdon.

I want to find out where he went to learn his trade. It was likely somewhere close to his home in Burnt Cabins, Dublin Twp, Huntingdon Co.  Perhaps his style of gun would give a hint of who his teacher was.  His apprentice years were probably 1796-1805, give or take.

Tax records show he made guns in Huntingdon Boro and across the river in Henderson Twp.  Also in Bradford Twp, Clearfield Co.

If this is an inappropriate request on this forum, I welcome any suggestions.  Thanks for any clues you may offer.  Joanne Rodgers

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Looking for pictures of a John Parks rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:26:47 AM »
If I am not mistaken there was a J Parks gunmaker in Unicoi County TN I will have to dig up my info and will post what I find. I am positive there were at least 2 E TN makers with last name Parks. I remember it well since that is my wife's maiden name.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

joannerodgers

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 12:31:32 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  I am not aware of any of my Parks living in TN, but as they say, "ya never know."

The guns in the photos were made by the Snyder Co John Parks, I believe.  As far as I know he is not related.

Today, a cousin informed me of a line in a biographical sketch written at the turn of the 20th Century.  It said he went to Bedford to learn his trade. So looking at Kindig's book, that could be J Frazier, Joseph Mills, or Peter White. So I'm guessing his would be similar in style to one of them, with a "J Parks" on the barrel. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 12:40:05 AM »
Miss Joanne, welcome to the forum.  You will find a mighty broad field of knowledge relating to longrifles here, all sorts of folks to help you in your quest.
From your writing, it appears that you are doing your part also.
Good luck with your particular Mr. Parks.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 06:09:49 AM »
Do you have Whisker's "Gunsmiths of Bedford ,Fulton , Huntington & Somerset Counties?   He has two paragraphs on Parks, little info & no pictures of rifles. Page 21.   Whisker  says there was two.  The elder had a tavern & the younger was a gunsmith & carpenter.  He states the same as you that his rifles look like Bedford long arms but used commercial locks.

joannerodgers

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 12:49:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I went to my first gun show, thanks to Dennis Glazener for posting that. I must say, gun folk are the nicest people!  I asked a lot of people stupid questions and I received intelligent and patient answers. I have been in touch with Jim Whisker who remembers seeing a J Parks gun many years ago and told me what it looked like, to the best of his memory.  So I know they are out there somewhere.  I'll keep on looking.   :D