Author Topic: Flea Market Finds  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

Flea Market Finds
« on: April 04, 2019, 01:21:51 AM »
Visited our local flea market today, and picked up a pretty good old belt/camping axe. I’ll scrape the finish off the handle, beat it up a bit, and refinish it more to my liking. Add a little patina to the head, a good sharpening, and it’ll fit right in with the rest of my gear.

Also picked up a few “knife blade blanks” to practice forging with... :o

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

River Runner

Re: Flea Market Finds
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »
I like finding things like that at flea markets and yard sales.  Please show us what it all looks like when you're finished with them. 

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:17:29 PM »
Looks stout!  I’d consider putting a handle that is one hand width longer on it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 06:09:35 AM »
Rich, since this isn’t a name brand axe, I’m thinking of using it as a guinea pig, and re-shaping the head to look a little earlier, and making a new handle.  This handle is new, but I’m not crazy about the shape. We’ll see. I got it cheap enough to just consider it raw material!

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
Love the flea markets and junk shops too Greg. Never know what you might find. I bought a big box full of junk one day mainly because of the wrought iron 'raw material in it'. My barber also runs an antique store and there were a couple items in the box I had no use for so I traded them for haircuts. (PS  throw those files in a pan of vinegar for a couple days, you might have some good useable ones there if USA made. I have been surprised how they will clean up that way.)
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
Outfitted my entire shoebench from flea markets, where the vendors rarely know the true value of some of the stuff we like and use.
Never paid more than five bucks for anything.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »
Love your setup Capgun. 🙂 God Bless, Marc