Author Topic: Building a Lancaster Rifle  (Read 25807 times)

Offline Bill Raby

Building a Lancaster Rifle
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
I started building another gun. This one is a Lancaster rifle. I am doing video of the whole thing, showing every step of the way and explaining what I am doing. I am not one of the expert builders but I figured it might be helpful to some people anyway. All comments or suggestions are welcome.

Here is Part 1

Davemuzz

Re: Building a Lancaster Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »
Nice video Bill!!  You provide lots of the up front details to thing about!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
I like the scary intro script. ;D My outfit here doesn't like video (boonies) so I haven't seen any of your videos.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »
Thanks, I enjoy and always learn something from you boys who take the time to put out these videos.
God Bless y'all for sharing your wisdom

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
Enjoyed your last one Bill, looking forward to this one.

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 06:04:16 PM »
Nice video, Bill. And good timing too since I'm just getting started on my first gun, an Issac Haines. I'll be watching for your follow up videos. Thank you.

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »
I can’t wait to watch this build. A very generous gesture on your part Bill to allow interested folks like me to have virtual access to your workbench. I’ve learned much watching your other builds and look forward to learning more.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »
I like the scary intro script. ;D My outfit here doesn't like video (boonies) so I haven't seen any of your videos.

I could not decide what kind of letters to use for the title. Some kind of fancy cursive script seemed appropriate. But that is usually hard to read and the numbers don't really match up very good. Tried a few that look kind of old fashioned. Then I realized that this is my video and I can do whatever I want. So I went with the scary letters.

Another thing I was thinking about. Sometimes I can put together a half hour of video in a night or two. Other times a week of work edits down to about 5 minutes. So there is no sense of time in the video. I started this in early March, right at the end of winter. So the intro scene for each video will be the same shot out my front door. You can watch the seasons change as I work on this and get a better idea of how long it actually takes.

The feedback from the previous videos has been good and I have fun doing the videos. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
Thanks Bill, looking forward to the vids.
aka “digger658”

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »
Here is Part 2

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
Thanks for doing these Bill. I don't have time to watch every one, but the ones I do are highly informative and well done.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 03:37:52 AM »
Glad to hear that you like it.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 01:06:30 PM »
Here is Part 3

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 01:11:44 AM »
Bill,
Thank you for doing these videos. Don't worry about going too fast! It gives many of us time to view, study and get some associated work done. We can look at numerous ways to do tasks in the longrifle building process but one never knows when the new one actually works best for you. We appreciate all your efforts to do the videos and show us YOUR techniques. Thanks again and keep up the great work.
elkhorne

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 03:37:37 AM »
That is right. This is just the techniques that seem like they would work best to me. Nothing on any of these videos should be considered the "right" way to do anything. It is just showing how I am doing it.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »
Here is Part 4

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 08:11:00 AM »
Here is Part 5

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
So Bill is that you flying the Pitts in your avatar, or are you hanging off the hand-hold?  ;D

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »
Just got caught up on these videos. I'm learning a lot. Love it! Thanks again, Bill. I know explaining everything as you go, and recording and editing takes a lot of time and effort, but it's very helpful for new guys like me, and I for one appreciate it very much.

I'm going to look for your other videos too. I'd like to see how you inlet the swamp barrel by hand.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 06:50:48 PM »
So Bill is that you flying the Pitts in your avatar, or are you hanging off the hand-hold?  ;D

I am the one hanging off it.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »
Just got caught up on these videos. I'm learning a lot. Love it! Thanks again, Bill. I know explaining everything as you go, and recording and editing takes a lot of time and effort, but it's very helpful for new guys like me, and I for one appreciate it very much.

I'm going to look for your other videos too. I'd like to see how you inlet the swamp barrel by hand.

In the Tennessee rifle videos I inlet the barrel with just chisels.

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 06:58:12 PM »
Found them on youtube. You're the first user I ever subscribed to  :) I'm gonna watch em all.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 01:12:39 PM »
Here is Part 6

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »
Bill, I see that you keep your chisels very sharp and polished which i know is very important. Can you elaborate a little bit on your sharpening process? By the way, I am enjoying your video's and would like to thank you for taking the time to produce them. Respectfully, Mikeh
Mikeh

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »
Bill, I see that you keep your chisels very sharp and polished which i know is very important. Can you elaborate a little bit on your sharpening process? By the way, I am enjoying your video's and would like to thank you for taking the time to produce them. Respectfully, Mikeh

There is some sharpening stuff at the start of this video. This is from the series I did on building a Tennessee rifle.