Author Topic: Tulle Smoothbore...Rear sight..Yes or No..  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Tulle Smoothbore...Rear sight..Yes or No..
« on: April 05, 2019, 03:26:52 PM »
Just putting it out there....I don’t shoot in any matches....but a rear sight would help. Or be a purist and tough it out...lol ...What say you. .... and if I had to sell the gun ,could it devalue it ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Tulle Smoothbore...Rear sight..Yes or No..
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »
If you're not shooting matches I'd put one  on. I've seen many old fowling guns with rear sights that were probably put on sometime after the gun was initially built.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 04:49:56 PM »
You can always make a slug to fit the dovetail. Lots of old rifles have old dovetails for rear sights filled in.
Andover, Vermont

Lobo

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
I get good accuracy on my smoothbores without a rear sight by lining up the front bead with the shadow of the tang screw

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
There's one on my smoothbore.  I shoot it same as I shoot rifles with no adjustment needed.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:00:46 AM »
Iam going up to David Prices Flintlock shop tomorrow....he’s going to Solder on a new “Turtle” sight on my Tulle....cuz I filled it down to much....trying to raise my group ( its my first smooth bore ,so stop laughing). And ....I just might have him install a rear sight too !

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 04:50:33 AM »
I like it better without one. Takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it. But after a while I have to wonder if a rear sight would be of any help at all.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 05:42:31 AM »
I have 2 smoothbore long guns, one in the Tule F.d.C. style. I can shoot okay without the rear sight at the range in normal positions with good form, but things change a bit in the field with some shots in awkward positions, it changes the relation of your eye (the rear sight) to the rest of the gun and front sight. I definitely prefer having the rear sight.

Type G British trade guns had a rear sight, so a smoothbore with a rear sight during colonial times isn't unheard of. No documented examples of Tule guns having them that I'm aware of, but I'm not an expert.
I've seriously considered putting a very small unobtrusive rear sight on my Centermark Tule F.d.C.

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 05:47:59 AM »
Put a peep sight on the tang screw.  Simple piece of metal that is easily removed.  Drill the peep as big as needed.

Brice Stultz

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »
I don't use a rear sight on my smoothbores. I know what sight picture I need . Basically , I shot it when building it and when I had a group, I worked on the stock until my cheek /hold was comfortable and the gun naturally comes into that position. Dead on at 25 yards. Raise my head a tad and it's on at 50 yards.  I can visualize a rear sight in place. Hope this makes sense.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 07:14:20 AM »

I taught myself to shave with a Straight 10 years ago...and keep them sharp. So I can learn new things that have a learning curve.....but Iam on the fence with the rear sight...but I do like the peep sight,a lot ! Thanks !

Turtle

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 01:54:43 PM »
 I think with enough practice you don't need one. I don't practice much. I left the Queen Anne tang bolt(which threads up from the bottom) long on my new England fouler so the threaded end sticks up above the tang to use as a sight. This really helps me turkey hunting as without using the sight, I shot too high. In competition where rear sights are banned, I have a shorter screw I install.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
Put a peep sight on the tang screw.  Simple piece of metal that is easily removed.  Drill the peep as big as needed.

r

Thanks....gonnah use your idea. Will post pics when complete.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:29:32 PM »
I have 5 of those holed magnets coming for testing on both rifles and smoothbore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »
Smooth bores usually short range shooting, 50 yds. or less. Our club matches are 25/50 & can’t have a rear sight.. I find to stay consistent (with a smooth bore)ya gotta shoot it pretty regular.
Don’t have one on my Tulle, if I hunted with it I would see if it helped me. Good luck,
Kent