Author Topic: Leather thickness question...  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Martin S.

Leather thickness question...
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:48:43 AM »
I think I read somewhere on this board, but now I can't find it, that leather straps for bags should be made from 9-10 ounce leather.

Mr. T.C. Albert's book talks about using 3-4 ounce leather for bag, but is silent on the straps.  Perhaps the straps are supposed to be made from the same 3-4 ounce leather?  That seems a little thin to me.

I have admired the work of the bag makers on this site, and I am trying to collect all the tools and materials necessary to start a few bags this summer when I have more time.

Any input on strap thickness would be appreciated.

Thank you for a wonderful board and for sharing all your knowledge with the newbies.

Offline mark esterly

Re: Leather thickness question...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:31:19 AM »
3 -4 ounce will stretch which will reduce it's width slightly.  i made that mistake on my first one.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 04:43:40 AM »
I like my straps more robust than that.  I use leather that is 6 or 7 oz weight.  9 - 10 is a big over kill.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 05:41:42 AM »
I use 3-4 oz oak tan leather when making most of my pouches. I sometimes use a chrome tan leather or an oil tanned leather occasionally.  I generally use the 3-4 oz oak tan for the straps on most of my bags. I buy sides of leather from Tandy Leather and buy when it is on sale. I cut my straps in 1'   1 1/8'  and occasionally 1 1/4' and 1 1/2'.  I like to use hand forged buckles and try to keep most of these sizes in stock and let the customer chose the width of the strap. I find that oak tanned leather 3-4 oz is plenty thick enough and it won't stretch.  I cut my straps from the back area of the hide. If you use the belly area, straps cut from this area will stretch.
Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 07:59:21 AM »
I have to go with Frank.  I use 3-4 oz veg tanned leather for my straps.  I cant remember over the 40 years of making bags any of that leather stretching noticeably if at all.  But, those bags were not carrying anything more then the normal accoutrements  in them either.

I will also acknowledge Taylor, in that the build /architecture of some bags just calls for heavier leather. 

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 02:30:02 PM »
  My thinking is, If the leather stretches, you might have to much in it,just me.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 06:02:08 PM »
My straps have been 4-5 ounce.

I tried 2-3 ounce but it was too thin.  I couldn't round and polish the edges on that thin leather. 

I just got in some long 8-9 ounce straps.  I will have to exchange them.  Waaaay too thick for my use.  No way I could get that thickness through the buckles I use.  Also, even well oiled it would be very stiff....and could stand up in a corner on its own.  ;-) 

If a 4-5 ounce strap stretches, I think too many balls are being carried.   

Keep in mind that I am no expert.  Many here have way more experience than me. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »
I think for homemade styles a lighter weight can be more appropriate than on a bag emulating that of a professional saddler, etc. More than likely if homemade the bag used the same leather as the bag OR an old piece of harness or reins which would of course be quite substantial.  For a style as made by a saddler or harness maker I prefer to always use something in the 6-8 oz. range no matter the weight of the bag itself.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 02:54:09 AM »
My straps have been 4-5 ounce.  I tried 2-3 ounce but it was too thin.  I couldn't round and polish the edges on that thin leather. 

I just got in some long 8-9 ounce straps.

If a 4-5 ounce strap stretches, I think too many balls are being carried.   Keep in mind that I am no expert.  Many here have way more experience than me. 

God Bless,   Marc

Marc:    8-9 oz are about like tomato stakes....  LOL...   I have found I can round the edges a bit 0n 3-4 oz by heavy burnishing on a square edge with a steel rod.  Its not what I would call a fully rounded edge but it can come close.  Yes, its a bit of work and work that I usually do not do unless asked for same. 

I think stretch is an outcome of the type of leather used as well as the thickness (not to be smart or anything)  Obviously, as an extreme, buckskin will stretch more then cow.  However, the type of tanning of the hide plays into the stretch factor as well as the thickness.  I think..

James:    You are soooooo  correct.  Saddle makers are/were  building for "forever" if you will, and as such overbuilt for that very reason. 

JMHO.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:10:07 AM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 03:03:09 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I tend to put too much stuff in my bag, so I think I am going to use 3-4 ounce for the bag, and 6-8 ounce for the strap.
I've already got the 3-4 ounce, but it seems a little light for the straps.
I am fortunate to live near Ft. Worth, where they have really big Tandy Leather stores, so I watch the sales.

How about horns?  Same as a bag?

I do appreciate everyone's input.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 04:20:16 AM »
Something to consider which will effect what weight leather is required for the strap, is what calibre rifle is it for?  If you are shooting a 20 bore rifle or gun, and need to carry enough shot for a 20 - 25 shot trail, you'll need something sturdier than you'd need for a .40 cal rifle.  I like old reins from horse tack for straps for my powder horns, just 'cause, and they are usually around 10 oz.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
I think the ounce or weight is equal to 1/64" = 1 ounce.  So 8 ounce would be 8/64" or 1/8" thick. A strap of 3/32" would look correct, which is 6/64", or 6 ounce leather......You professional leather guys correct me if I'm wrong here....
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 02:50:05 AM »
I did not put this in my earlier posts and not to go modern, but, think about ergonomics of bag fit.  A thick, heavy, hard tanned strap will take forever to break in if it ever really does.  A strap of "softer lay leather" will fit the user more easily and sooner then a stiff heavy one.  I realize some folks like a "more robust strap" as Taylor indicated....  to each his/her own

I would never go over 5-6 or 6 oz strap material unless the bag is carrying cannon balls....

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »
I gather you guys are talking cowhide.

Too heavy will chafe, too light will stretch. 

I found a sutler at Dixons that was selling thick, woven straps, some of which were attractive colored waxed threads.  You might want to check some websites such as Track or Log Cabin and look at their buckled straps.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »
I shy away from cloth straps as folks more knowledgeable than I am tell me that cloth straps were not very common in the day. I would wager a well made leather strap will outlast a well made cloth one. God Bless, Marc

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 02:13:07 PM »
Marcruger...I shy away from cloth straps as folks more knowledgeable than I am tell me that cloth straps were not very common in the day.

Yeah, probably; but uncommon doesn't mean unused, and maybe the best thing to try for is to produce the bag with materials at hand.  The reason I started to shy away from belt strap, 9-10 ounce is that it chafed and became uncomfortable over the course of a trail walk.  Some of the softer cowhides, such as those made to look like elk or buffalo, worked better and doubled up deerskin got the job done also.  I sewed it together, wet it, and hung it up with some dead weights to take most of the stretch out of it.

One thing I found that helped that sort of thing was to load up the 9-10 strap with neatsfoot or, better yet, mink or liquid lanolin oil.

Offline JW

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
Most bags I have made have used the same hide for the straps as the bag and most have been 3-4 oz. The bag I’ve used most for the past 5 years or so has 3-4 oz. straps. No noticeable stretching. That said, I do like the feel of a bit thicker leather for the straps. Just know that for all practical purposes, 3-4oz. veg tanned cow hide won’t stretch under normal usage.