Author Topic: Bear Pistols?  (Read 4600 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Bear Pistols?
« on: April 06, 2019, 06:22:43 AM »
Friends, I've recently become aware of a style of American muzzle-loading pistol known as the "bear pistol". Long barrel, smaller caliber (not sure on that) and here is a photo of one I found on the net:

I ask, what's known of these guns? Why was the barrel so long, yet the caliber modest? I think I'd like one made, not for bearing, just range work.

Thoughts and any info on these would be much appreciated!!

-Smokey

Offline Mauser06

Re: Bear Pistols?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:33:48 AM »
Have you tried the search function on here??   I recall a post or 2 within the last 2 years about them.

I believe they are of a southern  Appalachian origin...back then bear hounds and trapping ere common practice....a rifle wasn't needed and could get in the way. 

Even today...a lot of hound hunters carry pistols.  I planned to go with a buddies friend that that bear dogs.  He said I wasn't taking a gun that had a scope. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 08:29:12 AM »
My grandfather came from Missouri, but his family came from North Caolina, so I suppose maybe some of what he told me could have come from either place. He said they hunted bear with dogs, and once they were treed, they shot them with a long barreled pistol. Often they climbed a tree near the treed bear to get an even closer shot. His older brother Roy actually killed a couple of bears in California that way with a long barreled .22 cal.

Hungry Horse
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 03:45:28 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
So what is the purpose of a long barrel if just shooting a tree’d bear at close range??

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
I have seen long barreled small caliber bear pistols and also short barreled ones.

The 15 inch flint bear pistol that my great grand uncle made for himself, was a 54 caliber. I always assumed it was that length to allow more of the black powder to burn, giving higher velocity to the 54 caliber round ball. He made a shoulder holster for it and carried it across his chest.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:47:47 PM »
Joe Schell has built one or two. Do a search of his old posts as they will have pictures
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »
I have seen long barreled small caliber bear pistols and also short barreled ones.

The 15 inch flint bear pistol that my great grand uncle made for himself, was a 54 caliber. I always assumed it was that length to allow more of the black powder to burn, giving higher velocity to the 54 caliber round ball. He made a shoulder holster for it and carried it across his chest.

Dennis

Interesting! Do you know what year or decade he built it in? Seems like a really interesting gun for range work and hunting. Heck I’d imagine with a 15” or longer barrel and in at least .50 caliber, one could even be used on deer or boar at close range.

So were there larger caliber “bear pistols” available historically? One in .50 with a flintlock and 15” barrel would be really cool! If I had one made (I don’t build myself) I’d like it to look very close to the one in my OP, but of course sans the percussion lock in favor of flint!

Tell me guys, do you think the maple stock would survive the recoil in a caliber like .50?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 09:34:57 PM »

Dennis

Interesting! Do you know what year or decade he built it in? Seems like a really interesting gun for range work and hunting. Heck I’d imagine with a 15” or longer barrel and in at least .50 caliber, one could even be used on deer or boar at close range.

So were there larger caliber “bear pistols” available historically? One in .50 with a flintlock and 15” barrel would be really cool! If I had one made (I don’t build myself) I’d like it to look very close to the one in my OP, but of course sans the percussion lock in favor of flint!

Tell me guys, do you think the maple stock would survive the recoil in a caliber like .50?

Dated 1842 or 9 ? on the barrel and he used a Golcher flint lock, says a lot when a gun maker builds a bear pistol and chooses a flintlock instead of a percussion well into the percussion age. You asked about a maple surviving a 50 cal? Certainly, strongest wood normally used for guns of the period.
Dennis

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:16:30 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 11:13:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure that picture came from right here on ALR, in a thread in the Originals section. It was on display at Cade's Cove last fall as part of the Kentucky Rifles of the Smoky Mountains exhibit, and is also pictured in Randall Pierce's book.

I only know of about three original bear pistols: the one you pictured, the Matthew Gillespie pistol that Dennis is talking about (and is pictured in his book on the Gillespies, since he is too modest to mention that), and one that was used by Montraville Plott, pictures of which can be found here and in Bob Plott's book "Strike and Stay: The Story of the Plott Hound." They are all different. Not sure how common they really were, or if there are enough examples to really establish a distinct pattern.

Having said that, I'd like to make on myself one day.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 12:44:50 AM »

This one is .54 and is American Black walnut, no where near as strong or dense as Maple.
It shoots a 220gr. round ball with 55gr. 3F GOEX running 1,000fps. No problems so far.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:50:09 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 12:50:28 AM »
I have 3 barrels that are copies of the barrel of the first pistol in this post. I am not going to copy the pistol shown because it has very dainty grip. This pistol was made for a person with very small hands. This pistol was originally built as a flint and mine will also be in flint. The overall architecture of this pistol is very slim and it is very well constructed. One of the most interesting things about this pistol is that the screw that holds the main spring to the trigger plate also attaches the rear of the trigger guard to the trigger plate. The triggers and the guard are built as a unit and come out of the pistol as one piece.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Davemuzz

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 01:33:04 AM »

I built this in 2010, then re-did it this year. I've always shot a 240gr. Pa. Conical using 50gr FFF. I've never had any issues with the curly walnut holding together. And that was with build "cracks" that I did all by myself....with no help from anyone. The caliber is .50 and the barrel is 12" from breech to muzzle. I believe maple is a much stronger wood than the walnut with a lot of curl in it. You should be fine.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 01:48:16 AM »
Dennis that is one cool bear pistol you have.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 04:29:57 AM »
Dennis that is one cool bear pistol you have.
I wish it were mine but sadly it's not. I had heard of its existence and tracked down the owner.
Dennis

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 06:06:48 AM »
Thanks so much, gang!!

So there were big caliber ones (the .54 mentioned) and small caliber ones, too. Neat!

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 03:57:52 PM »
Can anyone list some builders who could reproduce the pistol in my OP? I’d like it as close to it as I can. Research has shown that is a .40 caliber gun and could share ball with my rifle. Thanks!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 11:52:38 PM »

Dated 1842 or 9 ? on the barrel and he used a Golcher flint lock, says a lot when a gun maker builds a bear pistol and chooses a flintlock instead of a percussion well into the percussion age. You asked about a maple surviving a 50 cal? Certainly, strongest wood normally used for guns of the period.
Dennis

Very nice. Thanks for the photos. The longer barrel gives a longer sight radius making it easier to place a shot. Plus a lot more velocity for a given powder charge.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
May people well into the 1840s did not trust the percussion system and I suspect that it was less accurate unless the caps were very uniform in strength.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 01:09:04 AM »
What makes a pistol a bear pistol?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 02:28:48 AM »
Up here in Canuckistan we cannot hunt with pistols.  I've shot many bears with muzzle loading guns, but usually prefer a sharp stick and a bow.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 02:41:38 AM »
I think Jim Chambers makes a long (12" ) barreled pistol kit. High quality I,m sure and I think it comes in 50 cal. and maybe others as well.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »
I'm still wondering..... ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 04:35:58 PM »

Same thing that makes a rifle a bear rifle or a fowler a Turkey gun😊

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 05:17:50 PM »
Bear pistols had long barrels so you could use a two hand hold easily, but also because bears don’t always keg up where you can easily maneuver a long gun. Also, the large powder charges would burn more completely.
 My great uncle like a long barreled pistol for bears, because he often climbed a nearby tree, to get closer to his target, and either rested the barrel on a convenient limb, or wrapped an arm around the trunk, and rested the barrel on his arm. High velocity small calibers are often more successful on close range head shots that heavier calibers, because the small bullet doesn’t exit the skull.

Hungry Horse

Offline alacran

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »

Same thing that makes a rifle a bear rifle or a fowler a Turkey gun😊

Or a Canoe gun, just saying.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:18:10 PM by Ky-Flinter »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass