Author Topic: 50 cal rice load  (Read 1348 times)

Offline hortonstn

50 cal rice load
« on: April 06, 2019, 05:21:54 PM »
Built a new 50 cal rice 44 long with round groove rifleing
Presently shooting .20 army duck canvas with 7-1 dry lube and a .500  hornady ball
With 80 fff I slugged the barrel and it measures .530
It loads very smooth all the way down question is should I go to a .509 with the .20 canvas
Is .010 clearance to loose for this barrel to seal up the groves are .016 deep according to rice
Thoughts appreciated

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: 50 cal rice load
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
A .530 bore would be a .53 caliber. You sure it's not .503?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »
So how do the patches look when you pick them up?  Reading patches is what tells you what is going on in your bore.

Scorch marks on the patch?

Holes burned through?

Can you see light through it when held up to the sunlight after being shot? 

Blow-by on firing also makes a bore a grungy mess if the patch isn't completely sealing. 

I am running an .018 "The Minute Men" plain canvas patching with wet lube and a .495 roundball.  It seals.  But it is a flat groove barrel. 

Some deep round rifling can be very problematic.  You need a fat ball to push the patching into the rifling, as well as thick patching to get to the bottom of those deep grooves.  After a while, you get a load you cannot get down the bore any more.  You'll just have to keep playing with it. 

My thought for hunting is to load a tight ball for the all-important first shot.  Then have .010 patching or similar in your bag for follow-up shots with a wood ramrod for ease of loading.  At the range, load as tight as you want. 

I would kindly suggest that you read through Daryl's posts on loading and crown to the muzzle.  There is some valuable information in his generous posts. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »
Tks for the mention, Mark.

Rice is pretty spot-on with their bore sizes being right.

.015" deep rifling would make your .530" groove to groove measurement correct.

I have a similar barrel to yours, but made by Don Getz, many years ago, with quite deep round bottom rifling and a .500" bore. Unfortunately, the lands in my barrel are
wider than the grooves, however it still seems to shoot well.

I use 85gr. 2F and a .022" canvas patch, or a 10oz. denim patch with both cast and commercial swaged .495" balls. These patches have some scorch marks on them
 but with that load of 85gr. 2F GOEX, do not burn and do not allow fouling to build. I am using a wet water based lube patch. WWWF + a bit of oil to slow evapouration
 in the summer time heat.

An alternative to the .495" ball and perhaps a better solution would be to use a .490" ball and a 12oz or 14oz denim patch. I measure 12oz denim at .030" and 14oz. at .034" using calipers
compressed hard on the cloth.
.490" + .030 + .030" = .550"- which should give a really snug fit in the bottom of the grooves - .010" compression in the bottom of each groove.

My loading of a .022" canvas patch runs .459" + .022" + .022" = .539" which is larger than my groove dia. but still scorches, thus it is not tight enough to hold the pressure back as
there are small brown streaks on the groove marks of the patches.  These small brown marks are scorches. Brown, not black. The patch is still reusable, just not as snug as works best
for me. It does work, though.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:47:02 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 12:28:31 AM »
going to range tomorrow i believe patches are fine  ill recheck and repost i think the deep round grooves
are the problem just havent filled them up yet
thanks

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »
I had a Rice radius groove barrel, and had trouble shooting canvas patching with it. I do not think the canvas was pliable enough to fill the grooves. After I started to use .018 pocket drill the rifle really started to shine. I used .495 ball s with the bear greased pocket drill .
The pocket drill is tough but pliable. It is all I use in my rifles and pistols now.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
what is pocket drill?
thanks

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »
Pocket Drill is a type of twill . they used to make pockets out of it I suppose. You can get it at JO Anns Fabric.  They call it cotton drill 40.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »
Should be available in different thicknesses or weights as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »
The rifle I had built also has a Rice RB .50 barrel.  I only have a .490" mold and have yet to get a .495".  Still, using the patching similar to yours, or more frequently a .023"/.024" canvas, 70 grains of 3F is accurate and the patches aren't burned and sometimes even look new after firing.  For some reason the coarse, heavy canvas loads with less resistance than the smoother denim OR the duck canvas.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.