Author Topic: The reason to test dyes before use.....  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Marcruger

The reason to test dyes before use.....
« on: April 06, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
Hi Guys,

I received a new piece of test leather in the mail from Zack White's, and it looks to be a good one.  Awaiting another piece from a PA tannery.  After my recent debacle on bad leather, I needed a good hide. 

I made some test squares, and tried out some dyes.  All Fiebing's Pro Dyes, thinned with alcohol and built up in several coats.  I have added one coat of neatsfoot oil.

The interesting part is that the dyes took a bit different color on each than on earlier hides.  Each hide is different, so make sure and experiment before committing the work you just did to a certain dye. 

The interesting one to look at is the Chocolate color dye.  The bag shown is from a good remnant, dyed Chocolate.  The sample piece right below the button tab is that same dye, but on the new leather.  The bag looks like Hershey's chocolate.  The test piece is charcoal grey!  Hard to see in the photo, but it is charcoal.  No brown.  Go figure.  Nice color, but not chocolate. 

The Show Brown is always dark blackish brown, so no surprise there.  Mahogany is about as expected, and I really like the saddle tan.  All will darken a shade once the finish goes on. 

So, I just encourage you to try the dyes before use.  Just like you would do on a scrap of maple before committing to a stain or AF on a stock. 

God Bless,  Marc

Offline PrairieD

• Starting Member
Re: The reason to test dyes before use.....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 02:44:03 AM »
Hey Marc!

How far do you thin your dye? I have a couple of bottles that I refilled with alcohol after they were 1/2 gone (giving me roughly a 50%/50% mix...) better, but still a bit blotchy...  I suspect I'll need to thin them a lot more to let me sneak up on the color.

Mike C.
Pretty Prairie, KS

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
I’m working on a pouch now l, from leather that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. I had a bit of credit with HL, so I gambled. Looked like a nice piece of leather but this stuff will not due evenly. I don’t know what’s going on but it looks like a tie dye job. I’ll figger out something but no more leather from Hobby Lobby for me.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 06:23:04 PM »
What kind of leather is it.  I have, on occasion, used some small stuff from HL but have never had a dye problem with it. I usually use the undyed calf.

There, now I have jinxed myself.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
I am no expert, but I am thinning about 50%. James’ advice to use alcohol is a good one. At that thinning rate the dye seems to penetrate and even out overnight. I thin more for a light color, less for a darker color. A little goes a long way on light colors. My neatsfoot oiling and final finish each give me “one shade darker”, so I go light on dye on blonder shades.

I have now given up on cheap or suspect leather. My time is way too valuable to waste it on leather that is poor. I won’t gamble again.

God bless, Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »
Also, I am applying with scraps of cream color sheepskin. I put dye on the scrap, fold and rub it into the wool, and them blot a lot onto folded paper towels. I then rub the dye onto the leather in every direction possible. The blotting and random directions are important in my experience. Let that coat spread and dissipate overnight before the next coat.
Stop before you get the darkness you want, then rub in nestsfoot oil in thin coats with fingertips. Let dry overnight between coats if more are needed. Neatsfoot oil darkens.
Add your finish coat.
I hope this helps. Just the way I am doing things currently. I can always learn more!
God Bless, Marc

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 01:07:42 PM »
What kind of leather is it.  I have, on occasion, used some small stuff from HL but have never had a dye problem with it. I usually use the undyed calf.

There, now I have jinxed myself.....

It’s the natural calf leather. Once I get the bag complete and oiled, maybe it will be fine. Right now it’s too unsightly to post.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 06:43:23 PM »
It’s the natural calf leather. Once I get the bag complete and oiled, maybe it will be fine. Right now it’s too unsightly to post.

I have actually used that calf and it worked quite well.  There was no problem with the dyeing.....  I use a lot of natural calf so I buy much bigger pieces now and leave the HL stuff alone.  Cant give you a reason for the dye problem other then perhaps the hide got some contamination on it.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »
It could easily be chalked up to user error too but I’ve never seen it this drastic. Maybe the animal has a skin disorder LOL