Author Topic: Little banded horn  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Little banded horn
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
This is the first horn I have done with multiple bands.   I broke two bands in the process and had a lot of trouble keeping them in place on the mandrel while I was turning them.    Suggestions about keeping the bands in place on the mandrel would be appreciated.  This is a little horn I made for a little pouch.   It is 10" tip to tip (staple to stopper),  The base plug is a little under 2 1/4".    It has a screw tip.   I will post photos of the bag and horn once I get the horn attached to the bag. 

Offline Marcruger

Re: Little banded horn
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 11:00:03 PM »
That is a nice little horn. Great colors and shaping. It would look beautiful with a slim Piedmont rifle. God bless, Marc

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »
 Nice work Mark. I usually boil the bands and put them on the mandrel while they are hot, they stay in place pretty good like that, just did some this morning. Bands are prefitted to the horn before they go in to boil. Once turned they go back in boiling water and when soft onto the horn. Another way is to spray the mandrel with water, push the band on, the wood will swell and hold the band in place.
 I'm sure there are other ways but this is what has worked for me for years.

Tim

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 11:47:21 PM »
I am using hot lard instead of water, that might be part of my problem.   However,  I was having a hard time getting the horn soft enough with the water.    I also trim my bands on the mandrel with a parting tool.   That often cuts them loose.   Do you trim your bands on the mandrel or somehow do that before you put them on?

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 02:06:18 AM »
I use a parting tool a lot also. Go easy. Too aggressive an angle and it will catch, stop the band, while the mandrill keeps spinning. I use oil to heat. May try the water on the wood to get it to swell.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:15:41 AM »
Very nice little horn. Love the color. Small horns are fast becoming my favorites.
I turn my bands in multiples and then just choose the band that fits where I want it. This means the horn on the mandrel is going to have waste on the big end. Drill the end into the mandrel and insert a toothpick. The big end. As you turn the bands, cut off the small end first and push it off the mandrel and onto the tailstock. I no longer have much trouble with the horn coming loose. Maybe I'm getting the horn tighter on the mandrel. I use a razor saw to cut the bands apart. I use lard to heat the horn.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 04:04:59 AM »
Grand little horn Mark.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:46:44 PM »
I am using hot lard instead of water, that might be part of my problem.   However,  I was having a hard time getting the horn soft enough with the water.    I also trim my bands on the mandrel with a parting tool.   That often cuts them loose.   Do you trim your bands on the mandrel or somehow do that before you put them on?

Mark, I use a very sharp skew to trim/even up bands. It is narrow and the tip is very pointed, hope that makes sense. Sometimes I use this little tool I made from a power hacksaw blasé, it is about 1/16" thick. I rough cut bands on the band saw, somewhere in the 3/4" range, like Steve. Pic of my "Horn Tree".
 Put The bands in water and let it boil, I use a big pair of tongs to squeeze them to see how sort they are. An hour is a good starting time, sometimes depending on the thickness it takes longer but they will soften up.

Tim

[

Offline GA Turner

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
Great horn Mark.
I use lard as well. Like others have said go easy when turning. I also wipe the inside of band stock with a rag to remove some of the lard. The harder the wood mandrel the easy it is to slide loose,lard is a great lubricant. I have started using poplar and pine which are a little softer and grab. I have had luck using the heat gun and then spraying water on the wood,pine swells a little and holds. Sharp tools!!!!
Ron

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »
Nice horn,Mark.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »
Beautiful little horn, Very nice job!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 11:44:02 PM »
Here is the horn attached to the intended pouch.   The pouch is copied from page 16 of Jim Webb's book on pouches and horns of southern Appalachia.   

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 06:10:46 AM »
Beautiful little horn and pouch combo, Mark!  They go together like peanut butter and jelly!😉

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline aaronc

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »
Great color on  that horn.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.