Author Topic: Bandsaw blade for horn  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Bandsaw blade for horn
« on: April 09, 2019, 03:08:26 AM »
I need to buy a bandsaw blade just to cut horn (and bone(antler)).   My normal blade for stocks is too aggressive for thin horn.  What tpi do the rest of you use to cut horn?   

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Bandsaw blade for horn
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:24:00 AM »
I use a small bandsaw for my accoutrements. Actually I have two of them. One has 7TPI, the other has 10. The new blade I have sitting on the bench is 14. I use the saw with the 7 for almost everything. I have sharpened it twice and it is still going strong. Horn, bone, antler, and wood. Just don't get to aggressive.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 04:01:26 AM »
I would get one with as many teeth per inch that is made for the saw. I like 18tpi and 24tpi in a hacksaw myself. Things get out of hand to quick for me with a band saw when I'm trying to do delicate work.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:50:14 PM »
 Try 1/4-14tpi. Just go slow and kind of roll the piece into it. I find that anything more aggressive catches and is not easy to guide.

Tim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 07:35:43 PM »
 I use a 10 TPI for almost everything, including horn, antler, bone, brass, and hard dense gunstocks.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:42:33 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.   I stopped by Woodcraft and bought a 1/2" 10tpi.   It worked ok on horn and antler.  I think I will also get a 1/4" 14tpi.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 02:08:17 AM »
Mark, I don’t use the 1/2” blades because they won’t cut tight enough curves, I use 1/4” X 10 tpi.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:31:14 AM »
Has anyone noticed a problem with the blade loading up with finer toothed blades?

Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:06:52 AM »
Has anyone noticed a problem with the blade loading up with finer toothed blades?

Mike

If it does a piece of an old Crape soled shoe and cut it with it, it will take it off, a piece of soft wood works to but not as well. Works well on a disc sander too. 

Tim   

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:20:07 AM »
I’ve cut every kind of wood you can imagine, and never had the 10 TPI blade plug up. The skip tooth blades tend to get hot and break at the weld.

Hungry Horse

ron w

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:58:04 AM »
I would use a 1/4-14. make sure the teeth aren't raking the guides. I use hard maple guides in my bandsaw. they need to be replaced/squared up often, but they don't take the set out of the teeth, if the back bearing happens to loosen up...... and I've had that happen !. 

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Being a machinist the "rule of thumb " is at least 3 teeth engaged in the thickness of the material.
Blade loading up wax,on the blade as a preventative, candle, bees wax, or a commercial lube, comes in stick form from machine tool  suppliers.