Author Topic: Late flint English rifle for Tony  (Read 6313 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Late flint English rifle for Tony
« on: April 09, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »
Hi,
Boy, this gun took much, much longer than I ever anticipated.  So many details to learn and try to get right.  Anyway, it is done. The barrel is 54 cal straight tapered from Charlie Burton. The lock is a heavily modified and improved Davis late flintlock. The trigger guard was made from a standard cast steel English guard from TOW. The butt plate is iron from an original 19th century gun. The nose cap is ebony and the ramrod tip is horn. All of the hardware on the stock was engraved and charcoal blued.  The breech of 4140 steel was made by my neighbor and charcoal blued. The standing breech was made from a cast steel one copied from an original and sold by TRS. The stock is English walnut from Ron Scott, stained mostly with powdered alkanet root infused in mineral spirits (my own blend).  The finish is Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil. It is a bit glossier in the photos than in real life. It was a real challenge because the workmanship on these guns was only the best. I think I got it right but then I have been too close to it for so long that my objectivity is not reliable.  Enjoy.

dave

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:30:08 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline jcmcclure

Re: Late flint English rifle for Tony
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »
Wow....that a beautiful rifle by any standard, but one of the nicer I have seen in the style.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:12:26 PM »
WoW!!!  I think you reached the high craftsmanship state. Love the wood and metal  finish, looks great together. When you get a  chance a bit more explanation on the type of breech plug, please. Great Job!! Steve

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
The barrel looks browned while the rest looks blued?  Am I seeing that correctly?

I am not an expert on flint rifles like this, is this common?

As always, it is a great looking rifle.

Thanks

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 11:52:58 PM »
Wow, I love it. I am some what partial to English style guns and yours is truly great. Cross over checkering at the wrist is super, how many lines per inch is it? Fit, finish and engraving top notch. From the photos it looks like it will balance nicely and swing like a good shotgun on any running shots. Thanks for letting us see it.   :)  Smylee

Offline sydney

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:10 AM »
a very nice rifle--thanks for posting
     sydney

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 01:40:59 AM »
 Smart Dog.
    All your stuff is great including this one. However I think the finish is too shiny. Also gold line the pan If it isn't too late. Just my opinion though. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 02:25:01 AM »
Dave that is truly gorgeous work! Your examples are an inspiration, and -maybe- one day I can improve from "The Wood Butcher of Yorkshire" by emulating your work.

I'm curious about the internal design of the breech...is it "chambered" somehow like a Nock's Patent breech?

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 03:00:57 AM »
Love it, Dave!  Especially the checkering.  Tell me, what angle does the checkering cross at?  In one view, it looks like 90 deg, in another a lesser crossing angle.
Splendid firearm, with a splendid finish - "Tony" is sure getting a great one!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 03:12:40 AM »
Hi Folks and thanks for looking,
Let me answer some questions raised. The breech is a simple powder chamber, not a Nock breech. Here are some photos: 

The powder chamber is about 0.375" in diameter and the bottom is radiused and polished. The White Lightning vent liner is positioned at the very rear of the chamber. The mouth of the chamber is funneled. The idea is to provide the efficient powder ignition of a chambered breech, which increases the force of a given charge,  but also make it easy to clean. The 4140 steel is very tough so the breech should be very strong.  I do not believe, with modern powder, there is any significant advantage to a true Nock breech. I have not shot the gun yet so I will see if my decision is a good one.  Most English guns of that period had some form of chambered breech (not always Nock's design) so, perhaps, I will learn why when I shoot the gun.

The barrel is browned in contrast to the breech. An original English rifle from this period would have a stub twist barrel. Those barrels would be browned. the breech color case hardened or charcoal blued. I learned a lot here, mostly from some old British technical journals. I wanted the reddish brown found on those great stub twist barrels.   
I learned the color was not feasible for modern steel barrels. With twist barrels, the old makers used just 4 or 5 cycles of browning, which left a very red finish but uneven. That was not a problem because of the marbled effect of the stub twist. The uneven brown look like a feature not a bug.  On a modern steel barrels, that uneven reddish brown looks like an uneven browning.  When you do more coats of browning to even the color, you inevitably get a darker, more plum brown. I learned how to keep most of the red color during browning but it was a learning process.

JerryH, the finish is actually not that glossy. The low angle light and snow still prevalent here in Vermont  accentuates the glare in ambient light. In  neutral light, it looks very much like the semi-gloss finish on original British guns from the period.

dave

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 03:14:11 AM »
Hi Carl,
60 degrees.  That seems to be common on these early checkered guns.  Lower angles like 45 and 30, are more modern.

dave

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 03:41:16 AM »
Really outstanding rifle Dave!!  Smylee was asking how many lines per inch Dave, not the cutter angle...ie:  16, 18, etc
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 03:48:00 AM »
Outstanding!
It makes me wonder who or what person of the period would have owned this and for what? Would it be an often handled seldom fired piece? I see the engraved bears head. Like a period piece it has a story, it looks purposeful and filled with lots of questions.
Beautiful.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline snapper

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 03:54:28 AM »
You can call me Tony if you like.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 04:17:29 AM »
Beautiful, hope it will be used, maybe a “Sunday gun”.
So many are never let to breathe fire.
Kent

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 04:22:25 AM »
Hi Taylor,
Sorry, I forgot that.  Sixteen lines per inch and 60 degree cutters initially, with light recutting with 90 degree cutters.

dave

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 04:22:36 AM »
Stunning is the descriptive I can come up with Dave. Especially love all the metal work and have enjoyed you sharing that progress with us.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 04:23:58 AM »
Hi Kent,
Are you kidding?  This gun is no wall hanger. I guarantee, with respect to fit and function,  it will put most long rifles to shame. This gun will be Tony's primary deer hunting rifle.

dave

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 04:46:42 AM »
Dave,
I always look real hard at your work, and it looks Just Right to me!

Not saying I can do this work I Can't!...but I can tell if it looks right and it does.
Only thing that May have been seen on a rifle of this quality, is the inset breech.

It is nice to see the somewhat early type of hook to the breech.  all very nice work, and lovely colours!
Again,
Lovely work!!

Carl Young,
You mention "The wood butcher of Yorkshire";
I thought that was me!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 05:17:56 AM »
 Yeah. I agree with Dave.  That is a hunting gun supreme.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 06:38:04 AM »
Carl Young,
You mention "The wood butcher of Yorkshire";
I thought that was me!

It is a non-inheritable title from my English ancestor ;), and commonly applied to me by a colleague originally from York Minster. My English immigrant ancestor was Dr. Woodson who with wife Sarah arrived in Jamestown in April 1619...400 years ago this month.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 08:03:06 AM »
Simply gorgeous Dave!  Exemplary work to be admired for certain.  Thanks for sharing!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline yulzari

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
It is a non-inheritable title from my English ancestor ;), and commonly applied to me by a colleague originally from York Minster. My English immigrant ancestor was Dr. Woodson who with wife Sarah arrived in Jamestown in April 1619...400 years ago this month.Carl
Whatever they did is now forgiven. You can come back!
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline guido

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
Dave, amazing level of craftsmanship!

Offline alacran

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
Very authentic 19th century rifle. Absolutely stunning. Would love to see it in the flesh.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass