Author Topic: Late flint English rifle for Tony  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Late flint English rifle for Tony
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »
Very good Dave,
You captured it extremely well!

as you say, it'd fit right in!

I loaned both my "Manton" books to a chap years ago. I need to go and collect them!

R.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2019, 05:16:06 PM »
Dave,

Another superb piece of work.  You are definitely raising the bar with each project you show.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
There is nothing wrong with your objectivity, this is an incredible rifle!  I stand in awe of the attention to detail you show in each new creation. Well done, sir!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »
Hi,
Well, it shoots.  The entire ignition sequence is as fast as I've ever experienced and the lock time alone must be very short because of the short throw of the flintcock. That short throw also reduces any distraction by the movement of the lock. You really cannot detect any delay from pulling the trigger to recoil. It is the most like shooting a modern gun as I ever experienced with a flintlock except it is way more comfortable.  During recoil, the stock doesn't twist or want to rise much. All the force seems to be in alignment with the barrel and provides a really stable follow through. The accuracy should be good but I was shooting off hand in a stiff cross wind. Still, I kept everything in the black on a 100 yard NMLRA target shooting at 50 yds.  I shot 0.53 cal round balls using 15, 18, and 20 thousands patches lubed with Ballistol and water. However, the patches got cut on 3 lands when I used charges greater than 85 grains of 2F.  I lapped the bore after shooting and that should take care of that. I'll bench the gun later next week and see. The chambered breech worked wonderfully.  No need for wiping between shots and clean up was really easy using soap and water.  This rifle is the most comfortable I've ever shot with charges greater than 90 grs.  I tested charges up to 110 grs and the recoil is comfortable and no distraction from good shot follow through.   Tony, if you read this, the sights should already have you well within the scoring area so working up the best load should be easy. I definitely believe the barrel likes 20 thousands or possibly thicker patches with 0.530 balls because the rifling is pretty deep.

dave     
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2019, 12:16:39 AM »
Dave, your range report sounds like you nailed the four most important parts of stock fit, cast,drop,pitch and length of pull. That lock is the same as the one I have on my 62 and once you get it tuned up it really is smooth and fast. The ultimate owner will love it I,m sure as not only does it look great but it will be a great shooting and handling rifle.  :)

Offline Brian cox

• Starting Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2019, 04:12:23 AM »
Thank you for sharing your beautiful work. Your quality photos and detailed explanations are greatly appreciated. There is nothing plain about this rifle, from conception to execution - it is a functional work of art.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:48 AM »
Very good report, Dave.

I can't help but think (seeing as you copied a John Manton as far as possible, given certain parameters of fit for Tony)) that they knew what they were about in building a good gun or rifle!  Here you seem to prove that case.

Very good work and shooting results!!
R.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »
Good range report, Dave. There is not a better recoil absorbing design than the English design. The just work well. If well adjusted to the shooter, the sights come up
on target as soon as the butt is pulled into the shoulder pocket.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for responding to the range report guys.  I benched the gun today.  We are in for a nasty spell of bad weather so I decided to shoot today.  The barrel is accurate and groups nicely at 50 yards within a 2" circle despite using cast bullets from TOW that were very poorly made.  If I weighed the balls, I likely would throw out half the bag.  With a 0.530" ball it needs 20 thousands patches or thicker. Also, I experimented with 2F and 3F powder and it is clear that you do not need heavy charges. The chambered breech concentrates power so efficiently that a charge of 60 grains of 3F Swiss powder is more than enough to group well at 50 yards.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline bgf

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2019, 12:33:05 AM »
SmartDog,

Beautiful work.  I appreciate the functionality report also, especially because it agrees with my experiences with that exact style of breech (on a set of two barrels that fit my chunk gun), which for me has always been as fast or faster than a flat breeched gun, and if anything more reliable.  I think the sub-bore chamber produces higher pressure and clears the touch hole and channel quite efficiently.

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2019, 01:20:17 AM »
Well I picked up the rifle from Dave a few days ago and finally had a chance to get to the range. The rifle is beautiful, the trigger is perfect and lock sparks great. I took a dozen shots with the load Dave left off on and it did pretty good. The lock time is quick and the rifle holds well.  I didn’t have enough time or targets to get playing with different combinations but I’m off to a decent start. Target is 12 shots at 50 yards resting on cross sticks.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2019, 02:54:23 AM »
Congrats to you Tony, that thin g is a keeper for sure. Great rifle design and a good lock it will be a good shooter too. My own attempt at making one like it is not near as good looking but it shoots great with a Jim Carpenter barrel and that same lock. That lock is fast and easy on flints

Offline Daryl

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2019, 02:49:15 AM »
Looking great - practice with the rifle will remove MOST of those flyers. I say most as I oft times manage to throw one or two out.
Well done - both of you. An exemplary rifle and the target shows a good shooter at the helm.
Daryl
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2019, 05:07:51 AM »
Your work never ceases to amaze me...Fantastic job!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"