Author Topic: Defining Lock Panels  (Read 2030 times)

Offline grabenkater

Defining Lock Panels
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
Picked up a Spanish made “Great Plains” rifle. As far as I can tell, this is a knockoff of the Lyman rifle but there are some slight differences. Beautiful walnut stock and brass mountings. I would like to define the lock panels and slim the forearm some to make it appear not as commercial. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Defining Lock Panels
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 04:55:08 PM »
Photos, old chap, we need some  ;)

The Lyman is a bit humpy in the tang area, and when I had one, I cut that down a bit.
Look forward to photos of this one.

Best,
R.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
Picked up a Spanish made “Great Plains” rifle. As far as I can tell, this is a knockoff of the Lyman rifle
Actually, its the other way around.  They make the rifle for Lyman.

I built this one from a kit back in the 90's for my son. 

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 09:34:42 PM »
I did two for a friend.  The tang is straight like the top flat for too long.  I bent mind down so it followed the contour as in the doctored photo in yellow or pink.  Be careful when bending around the holes. I put the part that mates with the barrel in a vice, heated the tang where I wanted to bend it an used moderate pressure only. 

I cheated the molding as in yellow/pink  around the lock hump.  I made the molding in front of the bolster like Kit Carson's rifle.  The cheek piece was very strange an bulbous so I made it as in the photo.  Green River Rifle Works has many useful photos on their site. 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:39:30 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »
OP - That was made by Investarms

http://www.investarm.com/eng-avancarica.html
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »
Just to be clear, who did the rifle in the profiles on the bottom, against the white background. And the lock above it against the grey background.  That is a good looking rifle to my eye.  Is that one you modified?  God Bless,   Marc

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 09:55:46 PM »
It looks more like a Thompson Center than a Lyman Great Plains.

Hungry Horse

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 10:30:00 PM »
Just to be clear, who did the rifle in the profiles on the bottom, against the white background. And the lock above it against the grey background.  That is a good looking rifle to my eye.  Is that one you modified?  God Bless,   Marc

It is off the GRRW website, http://grrw.org/the-hawken-shop/

I gave it as an example of a cheekpiece.  It says it was made by Joe Corley. 

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
Thank you Gentlemen!

I’m sorry I was away on a camping trip with the BSA

Here are some pics of what I’m tinkering with. I hate the moon inlay, so I am planning on turning on turning it into an engraved disc. The curly bolt washer is completely out of place but I have no idea of what to do with it. Any suggestions?

https://imgur.com/a/lMyVCcv
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Kevin

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 05:09:29 AM »
Thank you Gentlemen!

I’m sorry I was away on a camping trip with the BSA

Here are some pics of what I’m tinkering with. I hate the moon inlay, so I am planning on turning on turning it into an engraved disc. The curly bolt washer is completely out of place but I have no idea of what to do with it. Any suggestions?

https://imgur.com/a/lMyVCcv

Greetings Grabenkater,

A couple of thoughts regarding what to do, if anything, with the "curly bolt washer": "The Plains Rifle" by Charles E. Hanson, Jr. (published 1960) has a rifle on the title page that appears to have a sizable oblong inlay that also functions as the washer for the rear lock bolt.  Also, the same publication, on page 38, has an image from the Tryon's 1874 catalog showing a variety of gun mountings available for purchase.  Some of the side plates have lots of curves and turns, not quite as curly as what you are dealing with, but getting there.

Also, check out this rifle, from right here on the forum, with lots of metal surrounding the rear lock bolt:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=19933.0

I hope these provide some inspiration,

Kevin

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »
Kevin,

Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention. I had nearly forgotten that I had a copycat of this book.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 07:41:17 PM »
Grabenkater,

You are most welcome and I'm glad to hear you have the book already at hand.
Take Care,
Kevin