Author Topic: Sear Bar positions  (Read 803 times)

Offline flehto

Sear Bar positions
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
Am using a Chambers' Golden Age flintlock on my Bucks County build and the sear bar positions are as follows....both the at rest and half cock positions are lower than the full cock position. So...to accommodate the trigger bar's slight clearance w/ the  sear bar  to allow full seating of the sear into the tumbler's half cock notch, excessive clearance between the trigger bar and sear bar is   present  in the full cock position....it's a double stage trigger in effect  which rattles a lot.

The  simple trigger is pinned in the wood.

My squirrel LR has this same situation which doesn't bother me, but night bother the buyer.

I seems to me that the perfect sear bar positions would be that  both the at rest and half cock positions would be higher  than the sear bar position at  full cock which would allow just a slight clearance  between the trigger bar and sear bar in the full cock position......in other words, the trigger pretravel in the full cock position  could be minimized....Fred

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Sear Bar positions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »
Fred:  you could add a light return spring, screwed to the forward end of the trigger plate off to the side a bit to accommodate the tang screw, extending back along the side of the trigger and then a little "L" through a piercing in the trigger, close to the cross pin works best.  Or if not enough length from the front end, bring it up from behind, again, pushing up close to the cross pin.  It just keeps the trigger lightly touching the sear, in all positions.  HC - likely not on ALR's, but common on English guns.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 11:25:38 PM »
It could be fixed.  A smidgeon on metal makes a big difference.  Essentially the radius from the tumbler axle to to all 3 spots on the tumbler where thesear nose contacts is not identical.

Perhaps “radii are” is grammatically correct
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »
Flehto

That could be fixed with a few hours reshaping the tumbler.  Or just do what Taylor suggested in a few minutes. 

David Price

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:14:09 AM »
Probably  will take Taylor's suggestion. Thanks to all.....Fred