Author Topic: An old one repaired.  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

An old one repaired.
« on: April 15, 2019, 06:13:50 AM »
Gents,
Have been working on an antique I've had for some years now.
It seems all my photos are out of focus. Need to wear glasses to get camera set right these days it seems!

A & E Weston, of Lewes.
Pictures say most of it.   cock and frizzen broken off,  wood broken out at forened tip, and ahead of the lock.
It had been a nice little gun.  about 16 bore.  Trigger-guard still needs reshaping,   it has a Nock patent breech, Very fast lock now fixed.  Still some cosmetics to work on, and it is still taking up linseed oil, so finish is improving.    It has had a real rough life, but the bore is decent, no real pits.  Inset breech , so goes off fast.
Have cleaned the lock-work, but no photos of that yet.
Just thought you may like to see it.

Dave -Dog,
This is the one with that stock with an adjustment to the lower buttstock profile.    Quite an attractive set-up I think.
It's still very bashed, but I like it!
I added to the old cock and steel rather than replace them.  I think making a frizzen/steel for an inset breech might have been a challenge, especially one with this more extreme lift as it clears the pan.

All the best,
Richard.
PS, sorry about bad photos.  will try harder next time!

pic uploader

Still needs a bit of finishing and rough spots to clean up.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:18:25 AM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: An old one repaired.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:24:40 AM »
what a great old gun and what a great job of restoration so far. Your wood replacement is invisible it seems. Looks to be an advanced lock design. Nice work for sure.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 06:54:54 AM »
Good save, Pukka!  Nice to see it proudly back to working order.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline msellers

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
Richard,
This is some excellent work, looks to be a great hunting gun. Should make for a wonderful user for you.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more progress.
Mike

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
Beautiful job Richard!  It looks like a fine shooting gun.  How did you replace the flintcock and frizzen face?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:27:29 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback all.
It's a work in progress, and only the majors are fixed at present.

Dave,

I wish I could have found a good cock for the gun, but I think the original would be the tall narrow high breasted type, and couldn't see anything just right.
Kevin at Blackleys was to cast me one maybe 2 1/2 years ago, but never got it done yet, so I chopped the top off a "John Bailes" cock, from Track, and welded it on , then altered it a bit for the later style.
As you see,  I also gave it a "Durs Egg"  (same supplier) top jaw, as the Bailes top jaw was a sloppy fit and too light.   It had to have the serrations ground out, and the teeth upset in it, and needed shortening.
The frizzen was a challenge.
The face is from a "Durs Egg" again, and is spliced into the original pan cover and welded.   The form of the frizzen may not be exactly right, as it is a bit earlier, but I wanted to try it!

It needs more cleaning up, and if I Do find a source for good parts that would fit, I'd go that route still.
It sparks very well, but the cock sits a bit close to the frizzen face, as I believe the broken cock (which had been broken and welded a couple of times  by looks of it) was not the original.
At this time in history, very often the cock was made so a centre-line running down through the vise pin, would be Behind the cock screw in the tumbler.  This one is about in line, so the cock is a bit far forward.  It wasn't just the neck that was different, but the whole body of the cock...
As I said, I can change it if something better turns up, but wanted to try and see what would work.
If does shoot very fast, FWIW!

Best,
R.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »
An OUTSTANDING repair! That area of wood is the high point IMHO of the project.
That old gun has a lot of neglect showing but still looks good as possible without
more restoration.
WELL DONE!

Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 06:13:04 PM »
Great save. Nice gun!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 06:49:33 PM »
Very nicely done Richard. What glue or resin did you use for the wood repair forward of the lock panel? Also looking at the close-up's it appears to have some fibers present. I would appreciate you sharing more on this process.
Thank you,
another Richard

Offline kudu

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
That is a fine looking fowler please keep the pic's posted as you make improvements to the  restoration.

Is this something that may be for sale at some time in the future?

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »
A good job Richard could not have done better myself
Keep up the good work marra
Feltwad

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:33:03 PM »
Excellent work on the repairs; impossible to tell where the repairs are.  Very fine old rifle readied up for a second life.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:48:48 AM »
What did you stain the new wood with to get it to blend so well?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 02:26:30 AM »
Amazing work, Richard, simply amazing.  And your pictures make be slightly out of focus, but they really tell the story.  Thank you for showing and telling on those repairs.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

dogbest

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 04:54:32 AM »
Amazing repairs.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 05:02:52 AM »
Pleased you like it so far all.
Bit rushed right now, so will reply more later but thanks and very quickly;

I'll keep you up to speed on progress, but field work is coming along fast and then I'm clobbered again till winter!

Northof Richard,
The wood glue was epoxy slow acting, with a bit of stain to it. I thought it might show, but the wood join was tight both inside & out, so nor worries. No fibre or dust added, as it may have held the surfaces apart.
The fibers you see are  the remains of the soft brown string I tied it together with.
 I had to wrap it tight to hold it together, then couldn't get at the excess glue till it was dry.

David R,
I used Fiebing's leather dye, dark brown for a match.   It works well, as you can flush it on and lift some off as needed to get the colour right.  Then burnished and such before the oil finish.

If I take more photos, I'll wear my specs so I can tell when focus is right.

Thank you all, it's an honour you take time to look at it!

Offline heelerau

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 02:59:31 AM »
Richard, you might wonder how on earth the cock and the frizzed got broken off.  I to think the wood repair is the highlight, but that aside what a wonderfull little piece,  what does it handle like?  and what gauge, 16 ?

cheers

Gordon Ps those long northern winters must be great for such projects !
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 05:55:44 AM »
Hello again Gordon,

Glad you like it. More to do when time permits.
Yes it's about a 16 bore.
Handles beautifully.  Longer in the stock than some so fits me V well, as I like a shotgun a little longer.
V light and handy too.  Comes up just right, eye just above the barrel.

I want to take it on a walk-about too!  It's made for it..   

I think a lot of these got broken with generations of kids playing Cowboys 'n' Injuns.    No shortage of broken ones about that's for sure.

Cheers, G.

R.