Author Topic: Test of different stains on Pear wood  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Test of different stains on Pear wood
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »
Thanks to Jhall who brought me a piece off one of his Kibler pear gun stock blanks I was able to try different stains. Below photo shows the results. I divided the piece of wood into 8 panels (I hope you can see the pencil marks) Each stain covers two of the 8 panels. The right hand panel has been soaked with tannic acid and the left hand panel was bare wood.

Here is what was used on each pair of panels starting from the extreme right:

Tannic acid on right panel then stained with a fairly strong solution of aqua fortis
to its left is bare wood with the same solution of aqua fortis. Both blushed with a heat gun.

Next are two more panels. Right hand one was soaked with tannic acid then coated with household ammonia
to its left is bare wood coated with the same household ammonia.

Next are two more panels. Right hand one was soaked with tannic acid then coated with fairly strong solution of ferric nitrate
to its left is bare wood coated with the same solution of ferric nitrate. Both panels were blushed with a heat gun.

Next are two more panels. Right hand one was soaked with tannic acid then coated with lye water (pretty strong)
to its left is bare wood coated with the same lye water solution.

I put two coats of Fornby's low gloss tung oil over all the panels. ***Click on the photo to enlarge***

Hope this helps, will try a few other stains that I have on the reverse side later today or tomorrow.
Dennis

d&d online dice
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:38:50 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Test of different stains on Pear wood
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »
Nice! Straight AQF would be my choice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:42:04 PM »
Nice! Straight AQF would be my choice.

Yes I like the AQF but the lye water looks good, just a tad lighter. I wonder if it would darken later on.

One thing that I did not expect is that the tannic acid did not seem to make much difference. Note that the right half of each pair of panels was treated with tannic acid in an attempt to see if it made the grain stand out better than without it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »

You might want to consider just oil finish and some Transtint honey amber dye mixed in.  This is what I did on this rifle.  Very simple.

Jim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »
I like the first 2 panels.
"Tannic acid on right panel then stained with a fairly strong solution of aqua fortis
to its left is bare wood with the same solution of aqua fortis. Both blushed with a heat gun."

It appears to me, the Tannic acid is not necessary.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V