Author Topic: Can you sand a stock too smooth  (Read 1499 times)

KILTED COWBOY

Can you sand a stock too smooth
« on: April 16, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
Just wondering , can you sand a stock too smooth to where it will affect how AF or stain is absorbed?
Can it be so smooth that it will not penetrate too deeply?
Kibler's videos show him sanding down to the 300's. Does anyone go any finer?

ron w

Re: Can you sand a stock too smooth
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 04:22:23 PM »
usually over sanding happens when a guy uses the same piece of sandpaper for too long. it has become dull and is not cutting the wood any more. at that point it is actually burnishing the surface, closing the pores. the stock feels really smooth, but the closed pores won't accept stain and finish like they should, so it affects the color and the durability of the finished surface.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »
Cowboy,

I usually scrape rather than sand.  But I don't believe you can over-sand a stock unless you wear away those edges that are part of the stock shape.  Regardless, after smoothing the stock down I raise the grain with warm water and de-whisker the stock.  Wood fibers and pores that are mashed down into the wood rise up and are taken off by the de-whiskering.  I usually add a couple drops of dish detergent to my water for the grain raising and use a combination of OOOO steel wool and scrapers for the de-whiskering.  I only burnish a stock after several de-whiskerings.

In staining stocks I use vinegar/iron stain.  It uses iron ions just like nitric acid/iron stain but often requires several applications to get as much color intensity.  I also add a couple drops of dish detergent to the stain as this reduces surface tensions and improves the penetration of the stain solution into the wood.

I hope this helps.  Good Luck.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
I know a fella who goes beyond 600 grit but as noted, clean new paper and whiskering are needed to keep pores open.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
With sand paper I stop at 220. I don't know what happens if you go farther.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
Just walk away.  You don't want to know what happens.  :-X
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply y'all.

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 07:28:20 PM »
for the raising of the whiskers I use 70% rubbing alcohol, it dries quickly & removes some inletting black.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 12:05:15 AM »
I sand modern stocks, from 1850 era forward. I scrape and burnish stocks from 1812 and below. I don't know what happens in between the two eras.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 12:18:10 AM »
I sand modern stocks, from 1850 era forward. I scrape and burnish stocks from 1812 and below. I don't know what happens in between the two eras.

Worlds collide!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 01:00:07 AM »
"I sand modern stocks, from 1850 era forward. I scrape and burnish stocks from 1812 and below. I don't know what happens in between the two eras."
The Mexican-American War?   ;-) 

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 01:28:28 AM »
"I sand modern stocks, from 1850 era forward. I scrape and burnish stocks from 1812 and below. I don't know what happens in between the two eras."
The Mexican-American War?   ;-)
If this was Facebook I would give you a like for your post!  ;D