Author Topic: Jack Brooks School of Traditional Gunsmithing-1st class- Decorative Wood Carving  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Please see the below announcement by Jack Brooks.  I have taken several of Jack's classes over the years and I highly recommend him as a teacher.  Thanks, Curtis

Dear Students,

I am excited to announce the beginning of my School of Traditional Gunsmithing with the first class, Decorative Wood Carving, being held on Saturday, May 11th, 2019 from 9 am to 5 pm. The one day class will be held in my new classroom – studio. I have room for 8 students. The cost of the class will be $175 and will include lunch and snacks.

The 8 hour class will cover both incise and relief carving that was used to decorate fine 18th and early 19th century Kentucky rifles. There will be some lecture time discussing history, theory, and tool selection followed by demonstration of tool sharpening, carving technique, and hands on student drawing and carving. Each student will go home with a piece of their own carving.

I encourage you to sign up right away since the class is limited to 8 students.

I am planing additional rifle making classes in the future such as:

stock layout

drilling ramrod holes

geometric method of stock shaping

hand inletting of swamped barrels

making under lugs, sights, ramrod pipes and nose caps

wood and metal patch box making

making springs

lock making

customizing and tuning commercial gun locks

decorative metal sheet and wire inlay

metal engraving

wood and metal finishes

pattern making and brass casting of trigger guards and butt plates

problem solving and discussion of your on going rifle projects

I would appreciate your input on what might appeal to you on the above list and suggestions for other classes.

I have been making longrifles since 1971 and have a strong desire to share what I have learned over the years with those who have an interest in making long rifles. I now have the space to hold classes here and want to invite you to come.

Sincerely,

Jack Brooks

800 West Oxford Ave.

Englewood, CO 80110

Email: jsbrookslongrifles@gmail.com

If you prefer to speak to Jack by phone, please send him an email and request his phone contact information.

web site: jsbrookslongrifles.com
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:54:47 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline bowkill

I would be in for sure if he lived closer..
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
I would have to say that Jack is the best instructor I have ever had when it comes to building longrifles.  A class with Jack is well worth a long drive or a flight!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing