Author Topic: My First Plank  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
My First Plank
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:10:00 PM »
Here’s where I’m at.  Im using the KRA disk “attributed John Rupp” rifle as guidance,  the Herman Rupp rifle from Shumway vol 1, a copy of Eric Von Ashwittz Petite Lehigh rifle, Mike Brooks’ build tutorial and Mike Brooks and Allen Martins website for reference.  Stoner Creek also let me handle one of his nice Lehighs and take some pics.  So thank you all for posting information that is helping me along the way.  I’m using the traditional flat Lehigh patchbox instead of the Bucks County on the John Rupp.  It’s a 44” 36 caliber A weight with a Zornes Classic lock. 

online dice roller animated

Offline Stoner creek

Re: My First Plank
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 11:19:23 PM »
You’re doing great brother!!! Keep on trucking!! If you want to take my Lehigh home with you, you’re welcome to it!!!
Got to love these new guys!!
Wayne
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 11:35:17 PM »
Don’t think I need to take the rifle home but,  it sure would be nice to swing out sometime soon.  You sure have a slice of heaven out there. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 12:12:25 AM »
Your doing great, better than my stuff!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:21:38 AM »
Looking quite good!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline yip

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 12:52:06 AM »
 nice job, keep buiding!!!! i'm in the process of building a Bucks County, hope i can do as good as you.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 03:09:42 AM »
Looking great. Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us up on your progress.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »
Mike,
Graceful lines on that rifle. I enjoy your progress posts. Inspires me to keep working and trying to improve.

Quick question - where the nose cap brass overlaps in the barrel channel, does the extra thickness cause interference? Do you relive the wood a little more to compensate or file the brass down.

Paul

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
Mike,
Graceful lines on that rifle. I enjoy your progress posts. Inspires me to keep working and trying to improve.

Quick question - where the nose cap brass overlaps in the barrel channel, does the extra thickness cause interference? Do you relive the wood a little more to compensate or file the brass down.

Paul

Paul,

You’ll need to relieve some wood.  They are a pain. Don’t get too overly concerned with an air tight fit. Once you shoot and clean the rifle a few times,  you can’t even see the overlap and any gaps gets filled with gunk. Here’s a picture of the first one I did probably a year ago. You can’t even tell it’s wood showing when it gets dirty.  It’s just one of those things that come with this type of rifle.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
Excellent work there, Mike.  Lucky man to have good friends - AND a barefoot helper!
Will be interesting to see how the work progresses.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 12:20:08 AM »
I am no expert on that school of architecture, but that sure looks like a graceful bit of work to me.  You are learning at a heck of a rate good sir.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 04:37:30 AM »
Thanks everyone.  No way Mike.   This school is all I know as of now Marc.  I was planning on making it a plain Jane barn rifle but got attached to the John Rupp rifle somewhere along the way. 

Offline msellers

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 05:45:28 AM »
Mike,
That is one fine looking rifle, will make for quite the heirloom.
Hope I can get mine to look half that good when I get back to it.
Mike